UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2017, 6:17 pm   #1
markgs2
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cleaning a red 706

So I read an old post on here about cleaning discoloured phones...
I have a red 706 that has strange white/grey deposits on it as if it had been left to dry after sitting in dirty water. I tried a damp sponge and then furniture polish but as soon as it dried it just returned to its original condition. So I then took it apart and tried cleaning the case in the dish washer.... this has made it look far worse, but the inside looks immaculate!? Does anyone have any ideas of why the inside looks so much better and what I can do to restore it to its former glory?

Thanks
Old 13th Apr 2017, 9:10 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning a red 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgs2 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of why the inside looks so much better and what I can do to restore it to its former glory?
It's because the inside hasn't been exposed to the harshness of ultra-violet light present in daylight.

Ask auntie Google or uncle Bing about the 'Retrobright' process. It involves various household chemicals, some sunlight, and some water. But don't leave your phone case in it too long or you'll bleach it.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 14th Apr 2017, 7:18 am   #3

Red Tcut?

Old 14th Apr 2017, 12:12 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, it's been affected by sunlight, causing the lovely red pigment to fade.

I would try what MM says. Don't expect miracles, but after a lot of hard work, I would expect some improvement.

The Retrobright process is more suitable for white items that have yellowed AFAIK.

N.
Old 14th Apr 2017, 5:16 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Is it something to do with the pigment used? Many red cars tend to fade after a few years eventually turning to a dusty pink - not what the original owner bought! It only seems to affect red.
Glyn
Old 14th Apr 2017, 9:33 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post

The Retrobright process is more suitable for white items that have yellowed AFAIK.
Well, it worked on a green 746 of mine. I tried the process on a cream one, and bleached it slightly.

I take it the red 706 in the OP is made from ABS and not Diakon? It'll require different treatment if so.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t706case.htm

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread