UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2017, 3:42 pm   #21
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pye Radiogram

Hi
Post of the tone arm connection
regards
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_141736.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	141736  
Old 29th Apr 2017, 4:30 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Without knowing the Pye Radiogram model number it's difficult to advise the connections, but it looks to be an early 1950s Mono unit from the pic of the chassis. The pick up lead is just 2 wires connected to wander plugs on the back of the chassis on these.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 4:54 pm   #23
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Looking at the manual and then at the tone arm hard to figure out from the diagram which screw to adjust, rather than make the wrong adjustment could anyone post a photo showing location of adjustment so that I can adjust the tone arm cutting off point
regards
Sean
Old 29th Apr 2017, 4:56 pm   #24
Audio1950
Dekatron

The gram input into the amp will not have used a 5 pin connection, but two "wander" plugs, like the ones that are already in the back. As there are 4 wires attached to the two red plugs, I would think it unlikely that this is the pick-up connection, more likely to be the output for the speaker. The white and black plugs are the most likely candidates for the pick-up input, is the socket not marked, possibly with "P/U" or "gram"?
Old 29th Apr 2017, 6:49 pm   #25
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Managed to adjust tone arm setting two small screws at base of tonearm. None of the sockets are marked. One of the red plugs goes to speaker at front. The other red and the black white ones go to what seem to be connections for external loudspeakers. One connection at back is marked ext speaker Lhs
Sean
Old 29th Apr 2017, 7:59 pm   #26
Cobaltblue

Hi Sean

If it follows normal PYE Practice the pickup sockets should be the two empty sockets just to the right of the Aerial/ Earth connections ( the White and Black wires ).

It looks as if the DIN plug was fitted to plug into a more modern amplifier but I think that is probably the connection to the pick up.

You need to open the connector to see how many wires are in there the original would almost certainly been one core and the screen.

see the marked up picture.

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PYE.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	141755  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 29th Apr 2017 at 8:00 pm. Reason: cant tell my left from right !
Old 30th Apr 2017, 12:08 pm   #27
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Have taken off the din plug and there are two wires and a screen cable. To use it on the amp i presume i can only use one of the wires in the top socket and the screen in the lower one
Sean
Old 30th Apr 2017, 12:20 pm   #28
Cobaltblue

Hi Sean

Its possible that a stereo cartridge was fitted, were both of the inner wires soldered inside the DIN?

Do they both go somewhere at the other end ( the turntable end) ?

What cartridge is fitted to the deck?

If so you can connect the two inners together and use them as the upper connection.

Up until now you have not said if the Radiogram is working on the Radio side.

If its not had a few parts replaced you could be looking at trouble when you try use the amplifier.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Apr 2017, 1:04 pm   #29
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike
The wires were separate in the din plug and also the screen so three wires in all. The daio is working fine. Will check the cartridge and post a photo
Thanks
Sean
Old 30th Apr 2017, 2:07 pm   #30
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
Sorry that word is radio in the last post, that's happens a bit with touchscreen phones.
The cartridge has a red and black wire, so I presume its mono and terminates in a white and blue wire in the din plug plus the screen. It looks like there is a piece of small wire connecting the white and blue in the din plug but I don't get any continuity between the two. Anyway I removed the wires and joined the blue and white wires and using a temporary plug plugged it in in the top connection and the screen in the bottom, no sound so its possible there may be a fault and that's why its wired into a din plug by previous owner, have attached photo
regards
Sean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170430_132522.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	141818  
Old 30th Apr 2017, 2:19 pm   #31
Cobaltblue

Hi Sean.

With the cartridge unplugged and the Radio in the Gram position and the volume control up say 3/4 if you make a connection with a short length of wire or a screwdriver to upper connection do you get any crackling or hum?

Those two wires in the arm will usually appear on a piece of tag strip or similar and that's where the piece of screen cable will connect.

Might be worth checking that wiring as well.

Cheers Mike T
Old 30th Apr 2017, 3:47 pm   #32
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The photo in Post #30 shows a stereo-compatible mono (2 just 2 connectors) Acos GP91-1sc or GP91-3sc cartridge. Can the OP advise as to which as I cannot see clearly enough. This cartridge will have replaced the original mono Garrard cartridge. The GP91-1sc (medium output) will be correct, the GP91-3sc (high output) may cause distortion/overload.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 5:14 pm   #33
Audio1950
Dekatron

Look to see which pins on the headshell the two coloured wires from the cartridge are connected to. Then lift the arm and check that the wires in the arm are connected to the corresponding sockets. Trace those two wires to whatever they are connected to under the deck. From that point, the two wires are connected to the two wander plugs that enter the sockets on the amp. If you get sound, but also hum, swap them over. If there's no volume, the cartridge has probably packed up, which, unless it has been replaced at some time in the recent past, is very likely. The screen wire is only an "earth", and should not be connected to the input sockets.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 5:27 pm   #34
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
I am more used to seeing catridges with a positive negative ground and surrounded by a screen cable which would be just tied to the chassis. The two wires in the photo is one the signal and one the ground. If i wire these into a phono plug and test of an external amp i can verify if cartridge mute switch etc are working or not
Sean
Old 30th Apr 2017, 5:38 pm   #35
ricksteptoe
Pentode

Hi Sean,
I have a suspicion that the RC series decks have a shorting switch across the cartridge when not running. It might be worth a try with the mains disconnected from the motor and hand wound to a playing position. The lack of manual operation is a bit of a nuisance on these decks. I'm pretty sure I have been caught out by this myself, more than once.
Regards,

Rick.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 7:47 pm   #36
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, this is rather like the PU shorting (Muting) switch on the Collaro RC456.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 9:28 pm   #37
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughrans View Post
I am more used to seeing catridges with a positive negative ground
A 'positive negative ground!' It can't be both at once!!
Old 1st May 2017, 12:13 am   #38
loughrans
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
I wired up a phono plug to the wiring the rule out any cartridge or mute switch problems. I got sound by using a modern amp, the wiring configuration that worked was the red wire from the cartridge which terminates in white coloured wire to signal wire on the phono plug and black wire which terminates in blue coloured wire plus the shield to shielding on the plug. I tried this configuration with the inputs on the radiogram amp but no sound, no hum from either socket when I just put bare wire in. So more than likely the amp won't play from the record player so probably will go down the route of hooking it up to a modern amp but I might take it out and see. Thanks for all your help. I am really overwhelmed by the support and amount of contributions on this site. I was a regular on phonoland before it moved to facebook but I have to say this sites beats all other forums I have been on before. I will soon be getting hold of another radiogram that I have stored at my fathers shed and will be getting to grips with that
regards
Sean
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:11 pm   #39
Audio1950
Dekatron

No! The shield wire (braiding) shouldn't be inserted in to the amp at any point. It goes from the headshell socket in the arm to the tag strip or muting switch, and there it stops. The only two wire that plug into the amp are the two that are connected to the two cartridge pins. Starting at the cartridge end, follow those two wires through the arm, then through the tag strip/muting switch, and then take those two same wires directly into the amp. Pushing bare wires into the sockets is not a good idea, as a good connection is impossible, and may give a false impression that something is not working.
Closed Thread