UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl NVCF), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 31st Jul 2018, 9:28 pm   #61
SiriusHardware
Nonode

Default Re: Museums

Duxford: One of my all time favourite museums, and certainly my favourite air museum. I was just there a couple of weeks ago for the 'Flying Legends' airshow. On that occasion the airshow itself fully occupied my time but I would thoroughly recommend a visit on a non-event day in order to have time to see everything. There's a good land warfare section at Duxford as well.

The two RAF museums at Hendon, London and Cosford, near Telford are also very good, but Duxford is more of a 'living' museum as there are a significant number of airworthy historic aircraft based there, so it's not unusual to see something interesting flying around on any day you might happen to be there.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:57 am   #62
G3VKM_Roger
Hexode

Default Re: Orkney Wireless Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnaby View Post
Yes, I was in Hoswick last May and the radio section (in a gift shop) has sadly dwindled away.
Thanks for that info and sorry to hear that the collection has been broken up. I still have some photos of my visit fortunately and there were some quite rare items.

I was particularly interested in the Tiger T100 transmitter Cecil had as at the time I owned one which was working and on loan to the Muckleburgh Collection Radio Hut, another radio museum that has since folded, although they are now at the Norfolk Tank Museum.

Thanks and 73 to you Cecil if you're on here.

Roger/G3VKM
G3VKM_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2018, 3:28 pm   #63
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Slough museum is now a series of "pods" in their new Curve centre (a cross twixt coffee shops, library and free internet points), at least they have kept some of it showing Slough's history.

Worth a visit if you ever get within a mile or so of it. The building its self is also worth a look.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 8:48 pm   #64
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I visited a great museum today, the Anglesey Transport Museum or Tacla Taid: http://angleseytransportmuseum.co.uk

This is much more than a transport museum, though. Although the majority of exhibits are automotive-related, there are numerous vintage radios, a Sobell 405-line TV, a Fidelity Playmaster, a host of vintage domestic electrical appliances, meters, tools, stationary engines, generators, field telephones, searchlights... they even have several NOS 10 volt lead acid accumulators. My own quirky interests in model steam engines, paraffin blowlamps, Tilley lamps, Primus stoves etc were all well catered for.

You may also get time to look at the old cars, tractors, military vehicles and even the Hawker Hunter. Altogether an eclectic display with plenty of excellent explanatory material in a fine period setting. And at just 5.50 entry (senior) with a cafe and kids' play area, there's really nothing to dislike. It's quite easy to find, too, being not a million miles from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndobwllllantisiliogo gogoch.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8094.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	167375  

Optimist [n]: Someone who is not aware of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 11th Aug 2018 at 8:51 pm. Reason: Spelling
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 7:04 pm   #65
Restoration73