UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:10 pm   #21
dalgwcobl
Pentode

Default Re: Mono cartridge for 78rpm

A good Pye Black Box with a Ronette crystal cartridge takes some beating if you want to listen to 78s, rather than dub them or analyse them. Decca FFRRs sound particularly good.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:20 pm   #22
dalgwcobl
Pentode

The Wurlitzer 1100 78rpm jukebox, with the Zenith Cobra lightweight tone arm, was particularly good, but a Seeburg 100A from the same era was supreme.
Old 10th Sep 2019, 7:48 am   #23
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
Columbia 'New Process' laminated pressings from the 1920s can have very low surface noise...sad that, after the merger with HMV, the conventional shellac mix was introduced, presumably better to cope with the rigours of heavy soundboxes and steel needles.
HMV did have a stringent wear test, but the primary reason was cost. There was heavy rationalisation after the merger, and Columbia's UK pressing was closed down. Strangely, most overseas pressing was done in former Columbia facilities (the major exception being Dum Dum), so some issues can be found in laminated pressings. I used every Australian pressing I could get my hands on for my complete George Formby edition.

The UK factoriy could, and did, make laminated pressings for special purposes, but the mass market standard for both EMI and Decca remained stock shellac until 78 ceased altogether.
Old 10th Sep 2019, 9:05 am   #24
wd40addict
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgwcobl View Post
A good Pye Black Box with a Ronette crystal cartridge takes some beating if you want to listen to 78s, rather than dub them or analyse them. Decca FFRRs sound particularly good.
In addition to the cartridges I mentioned earlier in the thread I also have a MKii Black Box fitted with BSR SC11 and can confirm it too does a really good job. The autochanger is also handy
Old 11th Sep 2019, 9:18 am   #25
rontech
Heptode

I think Parlophone was an EMI company but I have a number of these records ( R xxxx ) series; from the 1947 - 1950 period which have low surface noise.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 7:48 pm   #26
Arthur2075
Pentode

I ended up buying an Audio Technica VM670SP mono cartridge. This has a 3mil conical stylus. The difference between this and the AT91 with a 78 stylus is quite marked, especially as the AT91 is stereo.

1940’s and 50’s records are remarkable in their detail. The older single sided records are better but are limited by their acoustic recording, still sound ‘right’ on a proper gramophone, like my Zonophone Model 1.
Closed Thread