UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:59 am   #1
mickyfinn
Hexode

Default Philips N4522 recording problem.

I own the N4520 model which is 4 track.Built like a battleship with superb performance.The N4522 is the 2 track version.Been working through it sorting out several faults.Stuck now on the greatest fault.Doesnt record.Not strictly true as it does but only with the input set to max so the needles are bouncing off the stops and needing high amp volume on playback.Set to record the vu meters work as they should.It plays back tapes recorded on another deck and erases ok.The heads have been cleaned several times.Have unseated,cleaned and reinserted all cards and connectors internally and sprayed the switches etc.The only test equipment I have is the standard meter.Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions of anything else I can try or may have missed before I have to take it to someone with the skill to put it right?Its a heavy (56lb) thing and fragile of course so worried about using a courier.
Thanks
Mick
Old 19th Jun 2018, 12:57 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4522 recording problem.

Could be a problem with the bias feed - this is controlled by a pot on the front panel. It's easier to trace these things with a 'scope, though.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 1:08 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Since the problem is on both channels, it has to be something common. Low voltage to the rec preamp by the sound of it. Switching/relay trouble? Shorted cap or nonfunctional transistor somewhere? Have you got a schematic?
Old 19th Jun 2018, 7:07 pm   #4
mickyfinn
Hexode

Thanks for suggestions,I do have the schematic.Manual is in German,there isnt an English one.
Mick
Closed Thread