UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2018, 5:29 pm   #1
yapster
Triode

Default Bush SRP30C capacitor query

I have recently acquired a nice Bush SRP30C with Garrard type 4 SPA deck. Sound was distorted and intermittent so without much fault finding experience, I changed all three valves along with the C2 capacitor which is 0.01 uf rated at 350v. I had no joy with this, so taking another look, I noticed that the C6 Capacitor, (The large waxy yellow one) looked a bit bulbous at one end. This is a 0.05 uf rated at 500v. I had a spare 0.01uf so I quickly soldered this in place of the 0.05uf and Voila, perfect sound.
Now I know that you're all going to tell me I should replace like for like, but what's the worst that can happen, and given that these particular capacitors seem very hard to come by, is there a more suitable replacement?

Last edited by yapster; 18th Jun 2018 at 5:46 pm. Reason: not succinct enough
Old 18th Jun 2018, 5:53 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Capacitor query

If you've been trying to search for a 0.05uF capacitor then yes, I guess they would seem rare Modern equivalent is 0.047uF or 47nF.

Seeing as I was on Rapids site, something like this.

https://www.rapidonline.com/jb-capac...acitor-08-1331

Andrew
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:16 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would recommend fitting the 0.047uF cap to replace the original 0.05uf. If this is the coupling capacitor, then this might give an ever better sound - with more Bass response. There may have been absolutely no need to replace the 3 (expensive) valves in the first place, so do keep them as spares. Never rush to replace valves, always do voltage checks first.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:24 pm   #4
yapster
Triode

Thanks for that. I have seen 0.05uf disc capacitors. Am I right in thinking they are all interchangeable?
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:30 pm   #5
Station X

No need for a disc ceramic. Polypropylene or similar will do.

C6 is part of the tone contrl circuit. Having the wrong value fitted will mean that the tone control wil not work as expected. 0.047uF will be OK though.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:32 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

You must make sure the voltage rating is equal to or greater than the original. Disc ceramics are not ideal for audio as the capacitance is voltage dependent although I doubt you would notice the difference. You will find that most people here use yellow polyester type as these are axial (connection come out of each end) and are for general purpose use. You can find them sold individually on ebay.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:35 pm   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Capacitors come in a range of different types and they are not in general interchangeable (that's why there's a range of different types ). But sometimes they can be swapped one for another. If you're not sure then the best approach is to assume that the person who designed the kit knew what he was doing and to replace a failed one with a more modern version of the same thing. Your failed capacitor was what's called a 'film' capacitor (the insulating layer in it was a film of something - perhaps paper or perhaps some form of plastic). So people recommended that you replace it with another film capacitor - these days almost all of them are polyester or polypropylene.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 18th Jun 2018, 9:44 pm   #8
yapster
Triode

MThanks all. I suspect Edward is right that the valves were fine but they will be kept as spares. I have ordered a couple of 0.047uf as suggested and will update once fitted. (who knew they would be so heavy to post?)
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 12:43 pm   #9
yapster
Triode

https://youtu.be/74Rbf0hIZd8

After replacing C2, C6 and C8 caps, and fitting a BSR SC12M cartridge (bought minus the bracket, but the one off those cheap Chinese jobs superglued to the top of the cartridge works a treat), I now have a working player.
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 4:56 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A good result and hopefully satisying to all those who contributed to see the player working.
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 9:20 pm   #11
yapster
Triode

Indeed Edward, Thanks to all for the advice.
Closed Thread