UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:05 pm   #1
jhedwards
Triode

Default Tandberg Model 11 (Help!)

Hello there!

I have recently discovered my late grandfather's Tandberg Model 11, as well as a vast amount of tapes that play brilliantly.

However, I am no expert with old equipment like this (or even modern equipment for that matter!).

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how I can record these old tapes from the Tandberg to my computer -- if such a thing is possible?

I would be recording on to a Apple Mac, using Audacity.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!
Old 7th Jul 2020, 3:52 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg Model 11 (Help!)

Assuming the Tandberg works well, the simplest way is to connect its line output to the input of the Mac. I don't suppose there will be a lead to do this off the shelf, but fitting a suitable connector to a standard 3.5mm lead is fairly straightforward.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 4:55 pm   #3
llama
Octode

What audio input connections does your particular Mac have? Never seem to be twice the same from Mac to Mac!
Graham
Old 7th Jul 2020, 5:46 pm   #4
omegaman1969
Tetrode

Article here on how to use the Mac headphone jack for line in.

https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutor...nput-on-a-mac/
Old 7th Jul 2020, 6:08 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Note that there is a "Sticky Thread" on this general subject at the top of the Vintage Tape section, not much there specific to the Tandberg but worth a read.

David
Old 7th Jul 2020, 9:26 pm   #6
jhedwards
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Assuming the Tandberg works well, the simplest way is to connect its line output to the input of the Mac. I don't suppose there will be a lead to do this off the shelf, but fitting a suitable connector to a standard 3.5mm lead is fairly straightforward.
Thanks Ted! I’m very new to all this, could you possibly link me to what cables/adapters/connectors I’m needing? Ta!
Old 7th Jul 2020, 9:51 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

The model 11 seems to have a jack line output on the front panel. So a 3.5mm-3.5mm male jack-jack lead may be all that's needed to connect it to a computer. Post us a picture of the sockets on your Mac if you need more detailed tips.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 10:29 pm   #8
barretter
Heptode

Here's an illustration of the 11's front panel from the "instruction manual" (available on HiFi Engine) but I'm not sure what was meant by "miniature jack" in 1968.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandberg11socket.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	210503  

Last edited by barretter; 7th Jul 2020 at 10:30 pm. Reason: Wrong punctuation
Old 8th Jul 2020, 4:59 am   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I feel the Tandberg 11 (I have one) is an excellent portable machine.

I'll dig mine out if need be, but I am pretty sure the 'miniature jack' is a 2 contact (mono) 3.5mm jack socket.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 9:17 am   #10
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

However, the line ouput is described as 600Ω balanced, so is potentially a 3-pole jack. If this is the case, and the input to be used on the computer is also a jack, a straight-wired 3.5mm jack-jack cable will feed a signal into both soundcard channels but in antiphase. Flipping the phase of the right channel in software would fix this, or recording only from the left input. A more universal solution would be to make a custom cable that feeds both input channels from the Tandberg balanced output hot, and either grounds or ignores the cold according to whether it's a floating output or not.

As above, it would be helpful to know the model of Mac.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 10:30 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Because of the 600 ohm balanced line output, I also thought maybe 3 pole but schematic only shows 2 pole jack socket.
Old 8th Jul 2020, 5:19 pm   #12
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The sockets are all 2 contact (mono) jacks. The 3 contact, stereo, one came in with the Sony Walkman in the early 1980s, long after this machine.

According to the circuit diagram in the service manual you can take the output signal from the 'Monitor' socket, the sleeve of which is connected to the machine's 0V line. Or from the Line Out socket which is fed via an audio transformer and is thus isolated from the rest of the machine (that might be why it's described as 'balanced'). I think you have to turn off the internal speaker to get a signal at either of these sockets.
Old 16th Jul 2020, 2:55 am   #13
jhedwards
Triode

Thanks all for your replies. Like I said, I’m very new to all of this so am rather in the dark.

Back of the Mac Mini looks like this

Like I said, hoping to record the tapes I have (if possible) onto my Mac.
Old 16th Jul 2020, 5:18 pm   #14
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Does anybody know what the 'audio input' connector on the Mac Mini is? I would guess a stereo (3 contact) 3.5mm jack socket, but guesses can be dangerous.

My thought is that a screened cable fitted with a mono (2 contact) jack plug at the Tandberg end would get a useable signal from either the Line Out or Monitor sockets and it won't make much difference which you choose. You need to turn the Tandberg's speaker off (I think that's the 'Speaker' button out, anyway whichever position silences the internal speaker). But I don't yet know how to wire the Mac end.
Closed Thread