UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2020, 2:38 pm   #41
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: White LEDs

Our cul-de-sac went dingy when LED lamp heads were fitted to our existing street lamps. What I don't know is whether a reduction in lighting levels was planned at the same time.

The other new lamps I experience are on the new bridge, the Queensferry crossing and the light level here is much higher than was done on the old bridge. Unfortunately some of the lanterns are badly aimed and you get the full lot in the face rather than down on the road. It's just a few along the way, not all of them.

On the whole LEDs seem to be good if engineered to do the same job. I suspect a local street reduction in level got rolled in at the same time.

The longevity of LEDs should be good, but it seems that the SMPS bundled with them is not up to promises.

David
Old 11th Jul 2020, 2:48 pm   #42
Refugee
Dekatron

In our street the LEDs replaced the old orange type and the light level is about the same.
To the rear of the houses they fitted the same tops but did not replace the poles as they did at the front. The rear ones are brighter than the old ones.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 3:36 pm   #43
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Our cul-de-sac went dingy when LED lamp heads were fitted to our existing street lamps. What I don't know is whether a reduction in lighting levels was planned at the same time.

The other new lamps I experience are on the new bridge, the Queensferry crossing and the light level here is much higher than was done on the old bridge. Unfortunately some of the lanterns are badly aimed and you get the full lot in the face rather than down on the road. It's just a few along the way, not all of them.

On the whole LEDs seem to be good if engineered to do the same job. I suspect a local street reduction in level got rolled in at the same time.

The longevity of LEDs should be good, but it seems that the SMPS bundled with them is not up to promises.

David
I was no longer involved in the street lighting industry when the mass change-over to LEDs took place but I strongly suspect that Government grants or subsidies were made available to local authorities to encourage them to make the change. The main motivation would have been a reduction in energy costs which were becoming a great concern. (think of dimming and part-night switch off, which no longer seem to be of great concern).

At the same time a number of previously significant street lighting manufacturers were taken over or went out of business leaving some new enterprises to fill the need. As such grants have usually to be grabbed when they are on offer, and if my assumption is correct, then a lot of changes may have been made without much consideration or planning, resulting in many poor installations with unsatisfactory lighting levels and uniformity. Proper photometric data may not have been available, or where it was, not adequately consulted.

More recent installations seem considerably better which is fortunate as otherwise the deficiencies might be blamed on white LED technology.

PMM
Closed Thread