UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2018, 8:55 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Fradan?

Anyone heard of Fradan? I've found Echomatic 50 on a search but can't find anything about the company.

The reason i ask is because I've found a "Fradan Computer Echo" whilst clearing out the workshop looking for where a mouse is hiding. It has four play heads, one record/erase and I think uses an endless loop tape. It is missing quite a few bits, hence my question.

Andy.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 9:28 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Fradan?

There was a Fradan Radio of Leigh, Lancs. that used to supply radio components and kits, adverts in RC and PW circa 1963.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...h=%22fradan%22

Lawrence.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 3:07 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Fradan Radio (Leigh Lancs), that takes me back, I had forgotten all about that shop in Railway road.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 3:15 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
...whilst clearing out the workshop looking for where a mouse is hiding. It has four play heads...
That is some weird-looking mouse!

Colin.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 4:11 pm   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

thanks Lawrence and Frank. When did they stop trading? A computer echo sounds early eighties. Sounds like I'm unlikely to find a schematic. Still shouldn't be too hard to knock up a Copycat clone using the heads,motor etc.

"That is some weird-looking mouse!" Chuckle : )

Andy.
Old 6th Apr 2018, 4:39 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The address in the advert is a private house, it’s possible they used that as an office but they also had a shop in Railway road.
Cannot say when they stopped trading, I only went there a few times, I tended to use Modern Radio in Bolton, who are still trading.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:05 am   #7
GRID LEAK
Triode

Fradan Radio were on Wigan Rd. in Leigh. There was a second shop in Millgate, Wigan opposite the Ship Hotel. They manufactured guiitar amplifiers, Pa systems and echo units which were very similar in design to the Watkins Copicat. They also sold hi fi gear, components and all sorts of bits and pieces. The owner was FRAnk DANdo, hence the name of the firm.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:27 am   #8
Alf
Hexode

I always knew Fradan Radio as being on Leigh Road in Leigh, not Wigan Road, I remember back in the 60s buying a mains dropper resistor for a trf set I was making, an 800Ω type and he set the resistance to what I'd specified. I think Frank had some connection with Barry G3WIS.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:32 am   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Now I cannot remember that shop in Millgate, also they must have moved premises in Leigh, I found an address of 38-40a Railway road, while the advert in post 2 is 36 Railway Road, plus the Wigan Road one you refer to.

For some reason I haven’t a problem remembering the Ship Inn.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:35 am   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I always knew Fradan Radio as being on Leigh Road in Leigh, not Wigan Road, I remember back in the 60s buying a mains dropper resistor for a trf set I was making, an 800Ω type and he set the resistance to what I'd specified. I think Frank had some connection with Barry G3WIS.
Appears they moved around a few times.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:52 am   #11
Alf
Hexode

He briefly had a shop in Hindley Green, opposite Organ Street, then moved to Atherton.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 6:03 am   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Any idea when they stopped trading? Most component shops went OOB late eighties/early 90's yes?

"They manufactured guitar amplifiers, Pa systems and echo units which were very similar in design to the Watkins Copicat." So should be fine copying the Copycat.

A.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 8:06 am   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have sent an email to a friend who has lived in Leigh all his life, asked does he remember the shop and it’s closing date. I have another local contact who is keen on radio and been local the last 60 years, I will ask him.
Don’t hold up a lot of hope, Alf remembers much more than I do, Organ Street Hindley Green, only one shop opposite Organ street, obviously changed hands many times.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 12:08 pm   #14
Alf
Hexode

I wonder if this is the same Frank Dando, would be about right age.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:26 pm   #15
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Now I cannot remember that shop in Millgate, also they must have moved premises in Leigh, I found an address of 38-40a Railway road, while the advert in post 2 is 36 Railway Road, plus the Wigan Road one you refer to.
I have looked and looked, but I cannot see any reference to any addresses on Railway Road in the link.

Colin.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:54 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
I have looked and looked, but I cannot see any reference to any addresses on Railway Road in the link.
Quite right, dunce cap for me. I seem to remember it there though, oh well more memories gone.

I have spoken to one of my contacts and he remembers the shop in Millgate and knew the man who ran that shop but couldn’t come up with a date of closure.
Old 8th Apr 2018, 10:21 am   #17
GRID LEAK
Triode

Sorry chaps. Must have been one of my frequent senior moments!! The shop in Leigh was indeed on Leigh rd. They had a workshop to the rear of it with cabinet making facilities as well as electronic assembly stuff. Yes Alf, the obituary would be about the right era for him. Frank, I seem to remember the man who ran the Millgate shop was called Dick who was followed by a guy called John. Don't know their surnames though
Old 9th Apr 2018, 6:16 am   #18
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The name I was given for the Millgate shop was John, from the info I was given he later went to work for a TV shop in Platt Bridge, Wigan.

Still no closing date though.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 6:25 am   #19
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks all.

Andy.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:49 am   #20
Alf
Hexode

From what I can remember, there were two TV shops in Platt Bridge, Bob Bell and Sharples, both long gone but their premises remain. Maybe someone will know.
Closed Thread