UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 8:18 pm   #1
12jslater
Pentode

Default Advice on what valve tester to buy wanted

The more I get into radios the more I feel the need to buy myself a valve tester, but the question for me is which type?

I collect 1920s,30s and 40s sets, after looing at valve testers online it seems harder to find a tester that will be suited to the older valve types, most testers that turn up seem to be from the 50s.

Thank you
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 6:57 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: Advice on what valve tester to buy wanted

Hello.
An Avo two panel Tester will be good for valves from the 20s 30s to the 40s. on ebay they are going for £120.00 to £150.00.

Kevin.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:18 am   #3
David Church
Banned

I use a Taylor 45C. Easy to use, does early battery triodes and up to much later such as KT88. The best place is the BVWS auction service - the last one sold for £80 (with books)
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:34 am   #4
Cobaltblue

A second vote for the AVO 2 Panel, the Taylor /Windsors are also pretty good you can usually pick up the model 45B for not eye watering money.

Such as this one (no connection with this seller ) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taylor-Wi...gAAOSwwWJawMXO

However I would say a valve tester is handy but not esential for sets of this age.

As many like to say and its absolutely true the best test of a valve is the circuit its in, but can help to spot the complete duds and for sort testing mixed boxes you buy.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:02 am   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
... As many like to say and its absolutely true the best test of a valve is the circuit its in ...
In general I agree and once a repair/restoration is finished I'd always judge the valve by its in-circuit performance. But when a set turns up not working properly and with funny voltages on the valve then a tester can reveal whether the valve is the cause of the trouble or is out of shape because of trouble somewhere else. The tester does need to be reliable of course.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:35 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12jslater View Post

I collect 1920s,30s and 40s sets, after looing at valve testers online it seems harder to find a tester that will be suited to the older valve types, most testers that turn up seem to be from the 50s.

Thank you
You can make valve-base adaptors to extend the range of valves that can be tested.

I have a Taylor 45D and wanted to extend the range so made several adaptors to plug into the Octal socket on the tester.

I covered it in two forum threads here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...+base+adaptors

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...+base+adaptors

I was able to buy my valve tester cheaply in the 1980s when they were just considered obsolete junk, but if I didn't have one, I wouldn't even think about buying one. As has been said, the best way to test a valve is in a radio. That said, they do have a fascination, matched only by coil winders. Each get used to about the same extent - very rarely!

Good luck in your quest.
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:40 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

Anything which has the sockets and heater voltages for the valves you're interested in will do. A straight-forward emission test and a gas leakage test are usually sufficient to tell you whether a valve is worth persevering with or not.

Gm measurements come into their own if you want to match sets (usually to a level the amplifier manufacturers never bothered with themselves) for audio output stages. Gm valve testers drop you right into competition with the rich end of the hifi and guitar worlds for a limited resource and the prices go silly.

David