UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2006, 1:27 am   #1
matthewhouse
Octode

Default What batteries were used in the HMV148?

The title says it all, I'd like to know what types of batteries were used in this set, the Trader sheet only states the various voltages. The LT battery lead has two 'fork' style connectors, i guess for screw connection, and the HT and GB batteries lead has five wires with wander plugs attached. the two battery compartments are fairly big. Voltages marked are as follows:

HT+2 114V
HT+1 60V
HT-/GB+ Common connection
GB-2 4.5V or 3V (depending on PT2 (V3) It's 3V for mine)
GB-1 1.5V

LT+ 1.5V I'm assuming anyway it's not marked

As this is the oldest set i own i may also be interested in getting some reproduction batteries made for this set when I've finished repairing it. Any other information on this subject greatly received.

Cheers,
Matty
Old 19th Nov 2006, 1:57 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: What batteries were used in the HMV148?

Hi Matty,

LT for your set will be 2 volts from a lead-acid accumulator. The common HT-/GB+ lead means the set will have used one of the batteries that combined the HT and GB functions. I've an instruction card for the HMV 167, a later but very similar set to yours which has the same valve complement and uses the same supply voltages: hence very possibly the same battery, and the specified type for the 167 is the Marconiphone B498. Trouble is, I'd not be surprised if the world no longer contains one of those or a worthwhile picture of one...

My list of battery equivalents doesn't cover Marconiphone, but only includes one type offering, like the B498, 114 volts HT plus 6 volts GB. In its various guises, it's the Drydex H1050, Ever Ready Port.30, GEC BB334, Oldham K540 and Siemens 1153. There's a very basic sketch of the top of the Marconiphone battery in the instruction leaflet, of which I'll happily provide a scan if that would be helpful to someone trying to reconstruct it or an equivalent type. Tappings are HT 114v, 108v, 99v, 90v, 72v, 60v: then GB+/HT-, 1.5v, 3v, 4.5v, 6v (all -ve of course).

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th Nov 2006, 12:10 pm   #3
batterymaker1
Heptode

Found it on an Exide poster in my info stack:

HT is an H.1050, crosses to Ever Ready Portable 30, 114 volts and 6 volts Grid Bias.

LT is DFG, 2 volt wet cell.

Now, Tony Maher in Australia has a new kit that allows you to get 2 volts regulated from a couple of D cells. I'm about to purchase one for a new battery I'm building. Once I've tried it, I'll let you know how well it works.

Bill
Old 19th Nov 2006, 2:06 pm   #4
matthewhouse
Octode

Thanks for the information Paul and Bill,
Paul you have a PM about the scan, and Bill it would be interesting to hear how well the 2V regulator works, could be useful here

Cheers,
Matty
Old 19th Nov 2006, 6:05 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The scan's just of a little line drawing showing the relative positions of the battery's wander sockets. I may as well put it here once I have use of the scanner (probably overnight...) as it may be as much as Bill or anyone else who took on building the battery would have to go on, and probably would allow for a tolerably accurate reproduction given knowledge of the manufacturer's usual livery.

Paul
Old 20th Nov 2006, 4:57 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Here's the battery drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hmv3B.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6830  
Old 20th Nov 2006, 5:08 am   #7
batterymaker1
Heptode

PM me and I'll give you the details from the article.
Old 20th Nov 2006, 10:29 pm   #8
matthewhouse
Octode

Thanks for all the information, it will come in handy.

Matty
Old 3rd Dec 2006, 2:09 pm   #9
matthewhouse
Octode

Well I rigged up the HT/GB battery and 2 D cells and a diode to get a 2V output, and with a bit of fiddling (I've never tuned a TRF set before) got the radio working. The sound quality is superb it sounds really really good. I will certainly have a go at that 2V regulator circuit tho.

Now the tricky bit, sorting out the woodworm holes!

Matty
Closed Thread