UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2006, 2:11 am   #41
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Motorboating

Hi Neil, I have been comparing your circuit with that of a radio made by Champion in 1953 namely model 820. It uses the ECL80 and confirms that the output transformer primary is around 10k Ohms. Big noticeable differences are:-
1) Grid leak resistor on pin 9 is 680k, yours is 330k.
2) Cathode resistors are 150 Ohms each with the bypass capacitor at 470uF, much higher than your present 47uF.
3) The 1M resisistor between pin 2 and the cathode centre tap is in fact a 1M volume control, the wiper is connected to pin 2, one end to the cathode centre tap, the other end is the signal input via a 10nF capacitor.
4) Your triode anode load resistor of 47k+3k3+22uF Capacitor is 220k on the Champion circuit, quite a difference and there is no 22uF de-coupling capacitor except for a 100pF mica to earth which may prevent the RF oscillation as previously mentioned.
5) Also as mentioned above, there is a 3M3 resistor connected between both anodes for stability.
Not sure how to get photos on here but I will try pasting one in and hope it works.
Good luck with the project, getting these things sorted out is part of the fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champion1.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	3214  
Old 29th Mar 2006, 2:17 am   #42
Top Cap
Octode

BIG P.S. Can you spot the mistake? They have pins 7 & 8 incorrectly labelled. The scren grid is pin 8 not pin 7, their mistake not mine. I had spotted it earlier but forgot to warn you in my previous. Your pin outs are correct!
All the best Neil.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 6:31 pm   #43
Nico
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL
Nico, makes more sense than my answer...I assumed motorboating would describe a low frequency instablility. I did say novice didn't I.
I just had a similar problem in an old 1935 Burndept as well. Therefore I was triggered. In the Burndept the IF started to oscillate, did buid up negative, stopped etc. Nice motorboating. There it was the metal paint at the IF tube that didn´t make contact with the ground of the tube. It did set me at the wrong leg first as well, thinking of feedback via the powersupply. Fun these old radio´s don´t you agree?
Closed Thread