UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:41 am   #81
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Things that make you upset/scream!.

An old Boss always said to me " there is no such thing as a problem....just a solution you have not thought of yet!" mind you the same bloke always told 'upper management' "bad planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine".
I liked the bloke, proper old school and he took no nonsense from anyone, either above or below him in rank, sadly long departed now though.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 1:20 am   #82
nickdoofah
Banned

Every subject or discussion in the media has an element that is 'Key' - So very annoying along with 'Core Values' I often dismiss any media report that uses either of these & quite a few more.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 1:27 am   #83
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLiggins View Post
Quad bike
Nothing wrong with that, clearly a cycle with eight wheels...…...
Perhaps it is worth pointing out that the term "bicycle" is origin of "bike" and means two wheels, not "any number of wheels you can think of".
I'll just ride off on my Octocycle, shall I?
Colin.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 2:17 am   #84
majoconz
Heptode

Some years ago I was tasked to replace a multi-pole three way switch behind a panel above the co-pilot's feet in one of our Hawker Siddley 748's. This involved removing his chair and few other bits to get to the switch and pull it out still attached to all of it's wires - all 24 of them. Fortunately the aircraft was not due on service for about four hours so I could take it slowly and carefully. The wiring diagram was not really a lot of help with individual portions of the switch all over the place - so it was back to the 'undo one wire at a time and screw it onto the replacement switch'. Halfway through the job I was called away for half an hour or so, then back to it. Finished the rewire, power up the aircraft and test - doesn't work. In fact the defect was exactly as before - then the dim light in my head got brighter. Dug around in my tool box for the old switch - except it wasn't so old - brand new in fact. I'd got halfway through before being called away and then proceeded to re-install the old switch. Fortunately time was still on my side so after the dress rehearsal the main performance went a lot quicker and right this time!
Old 17th Dec 2020, 8:59 am   #85
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Yes, 'swap out' makes me very cross.

And people on the radio (usually interviewees) who end almost every sentence with an upward inflection - thereby making a statement sound like a question

Peter.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:03 am   #86
MrBungle
Dekatron

My daughter does that. Drives me insane!
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:09 am   #87
Lancs Lad
Heptode

It always makes me want to ask them, "Are you telling me, or asking me?"

So annoying!

Peter.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:12 am   #88

Fry off in cooking.

Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:51 am   #89
McMurdo
Dekatron

Anyone who starts a sentence with 'so' without good reason. Originally when a politician evades answering a question by proferring a belittling explanation instead, it's spread to doctors and scientists in radio-4 interviews who are anxious not to commit to answering the question.
For example;

Q - How soon do you expect a vaccine to become available?

A - So we're working flat-out in our labs at the moment.

Q - Do you carry out routine checks on all your bus brakes?

A - So our company has a comprehensive maintenance programme.

Q - Do you realize the effect this is having on your customers?

A - So our team works hard to acheive customer satisfaction.

ad nauseam
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:52 am   #90
Radio Wrangler

Soddering

Oh, by the way, there was such a thing as a sesquicycle. Not quite as odd as the name would suggest.

David
Old 17th Dec 2020, 9:59 am   #91
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Oh yes! Hearing the word 'so' at the beginning of a sentence makes me cringe.

It's horrible - and just wrong

Peter.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:17 am   #92
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLiggins View Post
Quad bike
Nothing wrong with that, clearly a cycle with eight wheels...…...
Perhaps it is worth pointing out that the term "bicycle" is origin of "bike" and means two wheels, not "any number of wheels you can think of".
I'll just ride off on my Octocycle, shall I?
Colin.
Precisely the point I was making. A bicycle has two wheels (in the same way that a unicycle has one wheel and a tricycle has three). Therefore a 'quad bike' must have four x two i.e. eight, indeed an octocycle.

The item often termed a 'quad bike' should be termed a 'quike'

Andy
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:26 am   #93
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I get annoyed by TV presenters informing someone they are about to interview who he is, rather than introducing him to the viewer.
"Mr Johnson, you are the headmaster of …... school" rather than, to the viewer, "Mr Johnson is the headmaster of...."
I'd be tempted to reply "Yes, I know full well that I am the headmaster".

Andy
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:28 am   #94
Brigham
Octode

A 'sesquicycle' is one-and-a-half cycles; probably nothing to do with cycling.

(PS. A Tradesman's Bike, with a smaller front wheel under the basket, is still a bicycle)
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:44 am   #95
Oliver35
Pentode

Surely the correct term for a light four-wheeled vehicle already exists? The Edwardians called them Quadricycles, and I think the term is still the correct one as far as vehicle licensing is concerned.

Oliver
Old 17th Dec 2020, 10:52 am   #96
The Philpott
Dekatron

It's curious that the annoying superfluous 'so' is particularly endemic in TV or radio outside broadcasts- generally someone worried about the average number of snails in dry-stone walls or defending the swastikas carved into the front of county hall. (No, this did happen, i'm not being flippant) Bad nerves don't help and the contagious 'so' creeps into the interview as a filler while the speech is prepared.

Dave
Old 17th Dec 2020, 11:23 am   #97
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

One rather annoying happening of late are television interviews that attempt to back up
academics, professors, experts and the like with a massive bookcase in the background.
I wonder how many of them have actually read any of the books?

Regarding the issue and problem argument. I don't think 'Your issues Solved' would have been the correct term for the 'Your Problems Solved' series that appeared in the back of practical Television for many decades.

Regards, John.
Old 17th Dec 2020, 11:42 am   #98
Scimitar
Heptode

I have a new one that is a bit closer to the forum... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252019254

Nanny has now decided to "protect my hearing". It cannot be disabled outside the US. What they nannies fail to understand is that everyone is different. Your typical teenybopper with earbuds is a totally different use to mine. I Bluetooth the output into my 'bike radio and so that is the master volume.

Had a chat with online support in the US but nobody has actually told them about the problem there!

It seems that we are unable to disable this feature at this time. I know that this is not an ideal situation. You can let our engineers know at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ .

I wish I had a way to turn it off. I apologize
Old 17th Dec 2020, 11:59 am   #99
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Yes, 'swap out' makes me very cross.

And people on the radio (usually interviewees) who end almost every sentence with an upward inflection - thereby making a statement sound like a question
I'd heard it said that it became very widespread in the UK following the introduction of "Neighbours" to British television and had even become something discussed in academic circles. I recall one Australian commentator (possibly the late great Clive James, it's the sort of thing he'd come up with) saying that he was pole-axed that out of all the material Antipodean media had to offer that the BBC of all people had chosen Neighbours....

That rising inflection is yet another of those modern British trends that it feels curmudgeonly to stand against but I find it irritating too- it comes across as surly, passive-aggressive and distrustful. Oh well, time and tide....
Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:24 pm   #100
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

"going forward" gets right up my nose.

While predominantly American, here's a list that should keep most of us either amused or ready to throw something Common Errors in English Usage
Closed Thread