UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2020, 8:26 pm   #41
dorabella
Triode

Default Re: Bush Record Player SRP31D

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
If there is no slight background hum and no buzz when the cartridge connectors are touched it may be that the rectifier has failed. The small square rectifiers on these Bush record players often do. Sometimes the H.T voltage is very low and surprisingly the amplifier continues to work but if it fails completely there will be no sound at all. There is a bulb on the front of the amp chassis labelled as a fuse, check that is is tight in it's holder and that the bulb is OK. To be honest I can't remember if the lamp is just used as a HT fuse or as a fuse for the whole amplifier.
Make sure the record player is unplugged before dismantling though....
To gain access to the fuse bulb you have to remove the black control escutcheon, there are three screws to remove one each end and one in the middle.
Another thing to check is the plug at the left hand rear of the record deck if it corrodes in the socket or becomes dislodged it can also cause no sound.
Rich
The fuse is OK so things are looking good. I'll check all the wirong again and pay particular attention to the needle head area. But thanks for your comments.
Old 7th Apr 2020, 1:19 pm   #42
tracypaper
Octode

Default Re: Bush Record Player SRP31D

Hi.
Just to clarify the fuse bulb slidertogrid mentions is in the player at the front and not in the plug, just in case there is some confusion.
Gaz.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 1:04 pm   #43
dorabella
Triode

Default Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D.

Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D

Everything working well until recently. The motor on my record player has been playing up for a few weeks. Yesterday is refused to move and when I got it going with a twist of my fingers on the pin (which turns the rubber drive wheel) there was movement. However, at the same time, it emitted a whining/grinding sound.

I have removed the motor and greased one or two places - no oil - but I'm no expert.

I'm quite happy to search around for a replacement if anyone can suggest where I might find one. But if there are suggestions as to how the problem can be dealt with, it would be great.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance,

Dorabella
Old 11th Jan 2021, 1:20 pm   #44
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D.

Try adding some Sewing Machine oil to the reserviour at the very base of the motor housing. The autochanger used in this is the BSR "Monarch" UA16. A Service Manual can be downloaded from the "Vintage Radio and TV Service Data" Link above.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 5:05 pm   #45
dorabella
Triode

Thank you Edward, I'll try that with the oil and follow up the manual link.
Old 11th Jan 2021, 11:18 pm   #46
ben
Dekatron

Be careful not to get any oil at all on the stepped pulley/spindle of the motor, otherwise you will get erratic speed. Clean those surfaces with isopropyl alcohol if you have touched them for the same reason.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 9:52 am   #47
dorabella
Triode

Thank you Ben,
Good advice. I have some alcohol here and will keep it on standby.

Dorabella
Old 20th Jan 2021, 1:38 pm   #48
dorabella
Triode

Hi Ted and Ben

Problem now solved with oil and alcohol. Very grateful,

Dorabella
Old 30th Jan 2021, 10:20 am   #49
dorabella
Triode

Default Bush SR31 Monarch

Hi,

Recently I have had trouble with the motor of my Bush Monarch SR31 which I thought that I had solved (following the advice of some very helpful people).

Now I have a particular problem that may well be associated with the motor.

The first start in the morning is the difficulty. With 2 or 3 records loaded up, I start the play but the turntable doesn't move. It eventually does when I push it with my hand but then everything seizes up and the first record won't drop until, again, I get things going manually.

After that, everything seems to settle down and things run normally.

Of course I've checked the internal mechanism, tested it and re-greased it very carefully. That seems to be working OK. It's that first start that causes the difficulty.

Surprisingly, if I start with a faster speed, on a 78 setting, there's no real problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone thinks it's probably the motor failing, I'd love to know where I can get a replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Dorabella.
Old 30th Jan 2021, 10:35 am   #50
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SR31 Monarch

This is a very common problem usually due to a lack of use and the need for a thorough removal of old, hardened grease. The reason it works better on 78 is due to the increased torque that this higher speed gives. It's highly unlikely that the motor is failing.
If you have a BSR Monarch autochanger fitted, then this is lkely to be a UA16 as fitted to the Bush SRP31D - can you please confirm or provide a photo?
Old 30th Jan 2021, 5:34 pm   #51
dorabella
Triode

Default Re: Bush Monarch Record Player SRP31D

Hi Edward,
Thanks for your help. Very glad I don't need a replacement motor. "Autochanger", not sure if that's the whole of "under the bonnet" or a specific area. I'll send a photo if you can direct me to the specific location.

Thanks again,

Dorabella
Old 30th Jan 2021, 5:45 pm   #52
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Autochanger is the whole record deck.
I sought clarification from you as there you have misquoted the correct model number. There is no such thing as a "Bush SR31 Monarch".
Old 30th Jan 2021, 6:11 pm   #53
dorabella
Triode

Sorry Edward, the correct name is Bush Monarch SRP 32D. This is the label I've used on previous posts.

Dorabella
Old 30th Jan 2021, 6:32 pm   #54
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, I'm sorry that is still incorrect. There never was a Bush SRP32D.
Old 30th Jan 2021, 6:55 pm   #55
Station X

Default Re: Bush SRP31D Record Player with BSR UA16 Monarch Deck.

There were three models in the Bush SRP31 series and according to Bush's own service data only the SRP31D was fitted with a BSR deck, in this case a BSR UA16. Various BSR decks carried the Monarch label.

Therefore I conclude this is a Bush SRP31D fitted with BSR UA16 Monarch deck.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 1:17 pm   #56
dorabella
Triode

Sorry Edward, very very senior moments.

I've checked and you're absolutely correct: it's a SRP31D fitted with BSR UA16 Monarch deck.

Following your initial advice, I presume the problem I have is not unusual with models such as this one. In your view, is it something I have to live with?
Old 31st Jan 2021, 1:24 pm   #57
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, you don't have to live with it. To get more torque you will need to remove the platter.
Then clean the edge of the idler wheel, the stepped speed spindle and the inside edge of the platter with IPA. Then carefully, and evenly, lightly "roughen up" the edge of the idler wheel with a fine glasspaper, a fine file or even a nail file to make it more "grippy". This should drive the platter, which in turn drives the mechanics, far better.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 5:52 pm   #58
dorabella
Triode

Edward,

That's great advice. I'll get on to that straight away and let you know how things go. Thanks.

Dorabella
Old 1st Feb 2021, 2:02 pm   #59
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
No, you don't have to live with it. To get more torque you will need to remove the platter.
Then clean the edge of the idler wheel, the stepped speed spindle and the inside edge of the platter with IPA. Then carefully, and evenly, lightly "roughen up" the edge of the idler wheel with a fine glasspaper, a fine file or even a nail file to make it more "grippy". This should drive the platter, which in turn drives the mechanics, far better.
When I obtained my player the turntable speed was very erratic and at first I thought it was the motor on its way out. But as Edward has pointed out, it was all down the idler wheel slipping on the inside edge of the platter. Mine was very shinny, I just cleaned it with white sprit, this took the shine off and made it more "rubbery." I also wiped around the inside of the platter rim too. It's been perfect ever since.
Old 1st Feb 2021, 6:42 pm   #60
dorabella
Triode

Post Re: Bush SRP31D Record Player with BSR UA16 Monarch Deck.

Edward

Thanks for the advice. Followed it and everything worked like a dream. I'll make sure I'll do this regularly in the future. Very grateful,

Dorabella.

(ps Clive, I'm glad it worked for you also).
Closed Thread