UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2012, 11:25 pm   #101
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Thanks Radiolot for those words, I think you should get that published. The weather is not being kind tonight. Here near Bristol I can just about see CH5 from Croydon fading in above the noise, with a few weaker bursts of signal from Crystal Palace on ch33 and ch30. But its better than nothing.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 11:38 pm   #102
radiolot
Tetrode

Wow - Bristol, nice one.

I just typed things which rhymed - my brother though is a good writer and has published a few things including poems. Maybe I can put him to good use. Thanks for your words mate.

Looking at the red lights on the mast through the trees. Last night for 5 minutes, they did a search light warm up on the CP mast. Beam went miles. Very strange, considering I have a WW2 air raid shelter intact at the bottom of the garden and with those beams above it, it made you stop and glare.

Watching BBC1 with the aerial stuck out window - crystal clear picture for rough diamond moment soonth cometh.

Oh dearth - another bottle of wine neeireedreddd...

Last edited by radiolot; 17th Apr 2012 at 11:45 pm.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:13 am   #103
radiolot
Tetrode

BBC1 and 4 Gone. Dir Gen pulled the plug himself at 12:13

00:18 - and ITV and 5 still showing.

00:28 ITV off - went off, came back on for 2 seconds and off perm. A twitch. A vertical white line down the screen across the noise is visible.

00:32 5 off mid-film.

75 years to construct, 29 minutes to demolish.

Last edited by radiolot; 18th Apr 2012 at 12:35 am.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:36 am   #104
AidanLunn
Heptode

I've heard Channel 4 wouldn't go off without a good fight! Defending itself with a testcard.

I feel like checking those six lucky lotto numbers now

The final Ceefax page from CP preserved:

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...nal_Ceefax.jpg
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:38 am   #105
Michael Maurice

RIP Analogue TV

The end of an Era

Its 12.37 and I've got my alarm set for 05.45 with 1 hotel and 30 other calls already booked.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:43 am   #106
radiolot
Tetrode

yeah, the testcard was nice. And that flickered a bit at turn off. I half expected a giant 4 to kick the hell out of the turner-offer. Bless.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:43 am   #107
pichacker
Hexode

Here are the latest photos, sorry too tired to edit them fully before I go to bed.

Goodbye VSB and well done to the BBC for at least announcing the closedown.

I'll take one final shot of the full power MUX's tomorrow, post it and then it's a close to this thread.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC1 gone.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	65272   Click image for larger version

Name:	ITV and CH5.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	65273   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH5 only.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	65274   Click image for larger version

Name:	All gone.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	65275  
Old 18th Apr 2012, 1:12 am   #108
hamid_1
Heptode

Just watched it go off too. Channel 4 showed a test card, similar to the one they used in 1982 when they first started. A caption read "This analogue television service has now closed." The caption then disappeared, leaving just the blank test card which disappeared moments later. BBC1 made a short announcement. ITV1 and Channel 5 just went off immediately. The end of an era.

Since yesterday was the last day of analogue TV here, I brought a few vintage TVs including my Thorn 1500 into my workplace for people to see. I work in a place repairing in-flight entertainment equipment. Many of the engineers are from the TV repair trade, including my supervisor. We gathered round the 40-year old valve telly, played a vintage recording of "Top Of The Pops" and displayed Test Card F on it. The memories came flooding back. The faults, the customers. Happy days.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 1:18 am   #109
petertheorgan
Hexode

Analogue was given a good send off in the front room of the vintage wireless museum , we had all the working pre war sets running and even the standards converter worked perfectly, I am not sure which was sadder, watching the switch off on my 1962 KB dual standard or on the 1936 RGD.

Photos will follow tomorrow

Peter
Old 18th Apr 2012, 7:09 am   #110
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post
Well, I will say goodbye to old 625 from CP now, it being the first in the country to transmit System I. Goodbye 625 CP. Being the first, a small pity you weren't the last.
Hi.
Certainly Crystal Palace was the first transmitter used in the UK for System I but not in the British Isles, Eire was using System I for a couple of years before us.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 7:12 am   #111
dsergeant
Octode

I slept through all that... I wonder if the organisers of the 1001 TV show did a video recording of the switchoff process, that would have been an interesting thing for the archives and quite spectacular.

Retunes to do in a little while, then wait for the phone to ring for retune help. I must say watching the freeview channels yesterday evening there was not the slightest mention of it, not even on the BBC1 London news. But yes, end of an era.

Dave
Old 18th Apr 2012, 8:51 am   #112
Refugee
Dekatron

We will have to wait for a day or so and look out to see if something comes up on U-tube of the equipment being switched off and the light show.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 9:18 am   #113
brunel
Heptode

Youtube: http://snipurl.com/233qogi
Old 18th Apr 2012, 9:21 am   #114
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Looked using my Rediffusion off-air tuner this morning. With a monitor locked to my lab SPG I could see faint traces of something down in the noise on some channels. I checked my SPG yesterday against off-air subcarrier (last chance!) and found that the master oven oscillator was well within 0.1ppm. Hence any off air reception would be effectively stationary on the screen.

Then the penny dropped. I was picking up radiated shash from my lab equipment. Moving the aerial lead around the SPGs etc varied the effect
Old 18th Apr 2012, 9:56 am   #115
Courtney Louise
Octode

A Very sad day for technological history.

R.I.P. Analogue TV

It's hard to believe reading some of the coomments on the Youtube video that some people don't even remember Analogue signals already.. When I bought my house 13 years ago (I am 41) I didn't have an antenna on the roof and because I already had Sky, I just transferred the subscription and never went back to analogue :-( I know the end was inevitable but it's a shame the TV companies especially BBC didnt make more of it. It was a period in history to be celebrated not just washed away.

:-(

Andi
Old 18th Apr 2012, 10:11 am   #116
Station X

These days TV companies see their main function as producing programmes and have no interest in the way they're transmitted to viewers.

Viewers are only interested in viewing and don't care how the programme reaches them. All they're likely to complain about is having to buy new equipment or the difficulty in tuning/retuning it. Even this is negated to some extent by their need to dump "outdated" CRT sets and get the latest flat screen technology.

It's only anoraks like us who shed a tear for analogue TV.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 10:25 am   #117
pichacker
Hexode

Graham,

As I look out the window I feel that something I cannot see is missing forever....

A bit off topic but my girlfriend said to me last night "You know I love you, but you are weired sometimes!!"

Steve.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 10:30 am   #118
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Had a fantastic night at the Vintage Wireless museum with Gerry, Peter Sanders, Daniel, John Thompson and myself. We set up around 16 receivers of all types from pre war to a 1985 colour portable. The Tower is very visible from the front upstairs window of the VWM as you can see from the pictures. We took the short journey round to the Palace as we had expected it to be lit up but it turns out that the floodlighting will take place at around 9pm this evening. I have attached a few of the many pictures we took last night. More to come.
The receivers operating were: HMV 907 1938. HMV 901 1936. EKCO TS48 1948. GEC BT302 1959. EKCO/Ferranti T368 1960. BUSH TUG12 1949. PYE D16T 1946. McMichael MP17 1958. Philco A1707 1948. Murphy A56V 1938. KB VC1 1963. BUSH TV22 1950.
On the table: FERGUSON 16" 1400. FERGUSON 11" 900. TOSHIBA 10" 'CUTE' ULTRA 1500. ULTRA 850 and a few more!
More to come. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSW.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	65279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSW (2).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	65280   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSW (3).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	65281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSW (1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	65283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSW (4).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	65284  

Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:02 am   #119
radiolot
Tetrode

Excellent show at Gerry's - well done Johns, Peter and Daniel.

I was secretly hoping it was going to be like 405 line all over again, when in 1985 someone forgot to turn off the service at midnight. But sadly remembered the following day in the middle of a football match or something.

Alas, they remembered last night.

Great shot of the TVs in the sitting room with the lights out.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 11:43 am   #120
whyperion
Hexode

Looking at a couple of youtube comments, someone thinks they are turning into an anorak, so it looks like a bit of the population do have a regard to how services are/have been delivered.
Closed Thread