UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2012, 11:21 pm   #41
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Does anyone know what will happen to the small relay transmitters which at the moment only transmit analogue?
I'll answer that in a bit more detail, since High Wycombe is one of those areas. We've only ever had 4 analogue channels, no channel 5 and no Freeview at all.
After switchover, one frequency will carry the BBC digital channels. Another will carry ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4, More 4, E4 and Channel 5 for the first time. The third frequency will carry the two BBC HD channels, plus ITV1 and Channel 4 in HD. The fourth frequency will be turned off altogether and possibly re-used for mobile broadband in the future, not TV broadcasting.
That means there will be no ITV3 or ITV4 or Film 4 , but these can be received on Freesat with a dish. However, many more "Freeview" channels like Dave, Yesterday, Quest etc. CANNOT be received for free by any other means. People in High Wycombe and other affected areas will have to subscribe to Sky - a minimum £20 a month - just to get what's free for everyone else. It's so unfair. My parents have Freesat but would like the missing channels. They're both pensioners now and are unwilling to pay for them, but their only choice is pay or do without. This hasn't been advertised much.
Actually I should say "most people will have to pay..." because I'm lucky. With a massive aerial I can just about get a signal direct from Crystal Palace. That enables me to enjoy all that Freeview has to offer. And a couple of years ago I discovered that a black and white TV licence allows you to use a digital box with a black and white TV, as long as it doesn't record. That hasn't been advertised much either. Dozens of channels for less than £1 a week! Suddenly my old tellies took on a new lease of life. It's been great fun rescuing old sets from landfill , restoring them and getting them to work with new technology. And what could be better than watching some vintage TV programmes on the new digital channels, on a genuine vintage TV set.
It will be sad to see analogue go, but at least it's not the end for our beloved vintage TVs. It's the start of a new chapter in the history of broadcasting.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 12:51 am   #42
KeithsTV
Nonode

Up here on Yorkshire the DSO in our household went smoothly and even my mother in Birmingham, who's in her 80s, managed to retune her digital box twice under instructions from me over the phone. However she was a little confused by having to switch the digitial box off as well as the TV. (If the digital box was left on when the TV was switched off, the TV wouldn't switch over to the SCART input when it was next switched on) She decided to get a new TV which solved all her problems and made life easier for me but I still get calls from her when she wants to play a DVD.

Keith
Old 8th Mar 2012, 1:15 am   #43
Michael Maurice

Does anyone know what time DSO is and more importantly from what time do we have to retune?

I'm hoping its something like 2 am so I can make an early start, I've 4 bookings already!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Mar 2012, 1:32 am   #44
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Does anyone know what time DSO is and more importantly from what time do we have to retune?

I'm hoping its something like 2 am so I can make an early start, I've 4 bookings already!
From what I've observed, switch-off for analogue usually occurs between midnight and 1am, and then re-tuning at the TX end occurs between 6am (for the main TX) and 6pm (last of the relays)
Old 8th Mar 2012, 1:47 am   #45
paulsherwin

People just need to rescan when they get up in the morning and want to watch TV.

DSO here in Oxford went without significant problems reported, though it may be different in areas with multiple transmitter reception.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 7:50 am   #46

Quote:
I discovered that a black and white TV licence allows you to use a digital box
You don't even need that to buy a digibox, recently I got one for radio stations, I wasn't asked for my address like you are when buying a TV.

Old 8th Mar 2012, 8:07 am   #47
dsergeant
Octode

Switch off of analogue and the existing digital multiplexes normally happens just after midnight on the Wednesday (which is why yours happened on the 28th Heatercathodeshort). The new multiplexes normally get on air around 4am - though sometimes there are delays. Hannington stage 1 had aerial problems and was not working properly until 3pm, with folks desperately retuning all day and wondering why they found nothing.

Hamid 1 you should be able to get a good signal from Crystal Palace after changeover as its power is going up a full 10dB and will be a massive signal in many places.

I now need to keep a spare digibox to test analogue only sets that come in for repair...

Dave
Old 8th Mar 2012, 8:20 am   #48
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
.....recently I got one for radio stations, I wasn't asked for my address like you are when buying a TV.
Can't imagine that Tesco or Aldi are collecting addresses when you buy anything from them. Both of them sell whole TVs as well as Freeview boxes. Aren't they giving Freeview boxes away as free goodies in the bottom of cornflakes boxes
Old 8th Mar 2012, 8:54 am   #49
Dylan85
Pentode

Quote:
Can't imagine that Tesco or Aldi are collecting addresses when you buy anything from them
Actually they do. We bought a small LCD TV from Aldi a couple of years ago and at the checkout name and address were required.

Dylan
Old 8th Mar 2012, 9:09 am   #50
KeithsTV
Nonode

If you pay by credit card or use a loyalty card they can track you down.

Here in Yorkshire the analogue channels switched off over about an hour. I can't remember the exact sequence but for the first stage of switch off when BBC2 analogue was switched off and ITV analogue moved, BBC2 waited for the end of a programme but ITV just switched off in the middle of the programme.

Keith
Old 8th Mar 2012, 9:34 am   #51
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I bought an ITA converter, oh sorry set top box from Tesco last year. I used the garage store card as I don't 'do' loyalty cards, but paid for it with my own debit card. The garage got an enquiry from TV licensing...Big brother!
Thanks Dave, I will attempt to record the final switch over on midnight on Tuesday the 13th. That should sort it. Thanks, John.
What has digital TV got in common with the Baird intermediate film system? We have lost something that has had little mention in the press.
Old 8th Mar 2012, 11:17 am   #52
radioredcat
Hexode

When stage 2 happens BBC 1 will go off at the end of the program after midnight the other channels just go off mid program not long after midnight.

Andy
Old 8th Mar 2012, 11:27 am   #53
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan85 View Post
We bought a small LCD TV from Aldi a couple of years ago and at the checkout name and address were required.
It's a legal requirement if you buy a TV, though not if you buy a digibox.
Old 9th Mar 2012, 10:23 am   #54
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioredcat View Post
When stage 2 happens BBC 1 will go off at the end of the program after midnight the other channels just go off mid program not long after midnight.

Andy
Not always - Emley Moor BBC1 went off in the middle of a film that began before midnight.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 9:19 am   #55
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is the announcement made a few moments before analogue close down of BBC1 from Midhurst soon after midnight. Forty two years of UHF analogue BBC1 has joined 405 lines system A in the scrap yard of television. R.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACD.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	63906  
Old 14th Mar 2012, 9:33 am   #56
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
DSO switch off as you know was a lot earlier up here and when my daughter was at UNI in Galashiels the switch over was even earlier.
I still have some contact from old customers and when we changed over here I had only one ex customer calling for advice.
I even got conflicting reports from Bob in Sorn who said he was rushed off his feet, then I was told by his son they only got two or three calls!
Old 14th Mar 2012, 7:33 pm   #57
pichacker
Hexode

Analog from CP very grainy today, C26, C33, C23, C30, however signal is strong. Guess it's a rogue MUX or two coming in...

C37 ok.

C27 Analog is showing Meridian Today, is this really from Rowridge?
Old 14th Mar 2012, 9:35 pm   #58
Davewantsone
Hexode

I have been picking up BBC2 Ch33 CP all day in Wigan the picture looks OK.
Its been good for the past two days due to the high pressure over the UK
The grainy picture on your channels may be caused by digital signals from out of region including the continent breaking through
Old 15th Mar 2012, 2:05 pm   #59
radioredcat
Hexode

I did not see Crystal palace yesterday because Rowridge analogue/digital was blowing my ears out.
Also i a french station MUX R6 on uhf ch 36 from tues evening until last night and MUX R1 on uhf ch 35 and then later last night germany and belgium.

I have log40 10 ft off the ground and was receiving the french signal on that and the tv is tuned to the wrekin and went for a burton seee vid below as i have a lot more to put up but i will have to wait untill this tropo event subsides this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xA8s8A86IE

I recorded the outputs of my boxes one box at a time on to the pc 14 gigs worth so i will go through it in the coming days.

Out of interest i was receiving all day MUX C on uhf ch 67 and i don't know where that was from i have checked the lists but to no avail so i am asking if anyone on here knows of any transmitter using ch 67 for MUX C (dave/challenge etc as it could be a temporary parking channel.

By the way dave i had a friend in wigan and he used to do well for dx there i live on that big hill south of wigan.

Andy
Old 28th Mar 2012, 8:31 pm   #60
radioredcat
Hexode

I have just watched Gerry Wells on BBC London news about the digital switchover and he does not like it. Also notice the names on the plaque shown on the program nice one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17542254

Andy
Closed Thread