UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2010, 7:30 am   #1
ziggy13
Retired Dormant Member

Default What is a suitable set for a first DIY project?

Hello,

I want to build my first (tube) radio set and i'm wondering which would be the best choice for a beginner? This is mostly for learning purposes before i begin restoring some sets, which i intend to do later on.

regards,

ziggy13
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 9:54 am   #2
Meat Pye
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: What is a suitable set for a first DIY project?

Some believe that valve (tube) technology and circuits can be easier to understand than equivalent transistor ones. What isn't disputed is that valves use high voltages (at least 60V) which are potentially dangerous with the added bonus that wiring mistakes can be quite spectacular! Valve availability is also becoming a growing problem with a consequent hike in prices.

Transistors on the other hand use low voltages and are still readily available. You can acquire transistors, diodes, resistors and capacitors from scrap tv's, radios or music centres or even buy them new!

For a good grounding in radio and electronics try getting a few good books and some scrap transistor sets. Don't know what you have over the pond but I find that public libraries are a good source of knowledge with the added bonus that they sell off old books cheaply. My local library sells them for 25p (that's 40c to you).

PS
You've done the best step in joining this forum.
Spread the word!
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 10:14 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

May I suggest getting hold of some inexpensive 1950s/1960s valve radios to practise on. In the UK these can be bought for under £5, sometimes just for a £1 or £2, especially if the cabinet is tatty.

There must be a similar forum in the US where you could ask if anyone has this sort of set for disposal. Does the AWA hold any meetings near you? If they are anything like UK meetings there will be plenty of sets in this category.
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 12:51 pm   #4
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Have a look in a few secondhand book shops. Electronics was a more popular hobby in the '20s to '50s decades so lots of books were available for the hobbyist. A UK example is "A beginners Guide to Radio" (first published 1955) by F.J. Camm. The theory side is not particularly well explained but he starts by building a one valve set which in subsequent chapters gets improved by adding extra valve stages, transformers etc.
Old 2nd Jul 2010, 1:49 pm   #5
ziggy13
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for the suggestions! ppppenguin, unfortunately i don't know what AWA even stands for. It's not long and I'll return to Europe - I'm in the US only for a business trip and at the moment I am being choked by my work - so i suppose i won't have time to go to meetings. But I will use the opportunity to search through some bigger second-hand bookstores here for some good books. Also maybe an inexpensive valve set would be a good starting point - better than beginning from scratch. I now will probably be away for quite some time, but I will report back on my findings (in regard to books and some sets maybe too ).

regards,

ziggy13
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 11:35 am   #6
M0ALK Richard
Tetrode

I would avoid building a valve set from scratch because you would have difficulty in sourcing the coils. You would also have the problem of aligning the set from scratch.

Look out for a 1950s set to restore because they are readily available and the valves are easy to find. Avoid a set with VHF because they are more complicated.
Rotary selector switches are more reliable than push button switches.
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 12:02 pm   #7
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi
A Simple one valve TRF set can be very rewarding to make, the component count is tiny and the coils can easily be home constructed. The one valve set can be added to at a later date with an RF stage and an output stage to give good speaker performance.
A Valve superhet could also be on the cards, coils often appear on E-bay and there are many old sets that could be cannibalised for the required coils.
If it was myself I definately would go for a valve project.
Old 3rd Jul 2010, 2:36 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Why not go for a crystal set? I had loads of fun making and operation the 'Selective Crystal Set by P.A.Dewhurst'. I was amazed how well it works! Circuit diagram is downloadable from here http://vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/crystals/
Old 7th Jul 2010, 9:23 pm   #9
Neil Purling
Nonode

If you ever want to make a valve set from scratch, look at this thread:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...on+coupled+trf
Look at post #23 in particular. I made this circuit. It evolved through three incarnations.
Here is some of the fun & games on the way:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...led+trf&page=3
The radio member heatercathodeshort made is also on Youtube.
Closed Thread