UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2009, 6:38 pm   #21
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Chassis making (Nibbler)?

I bought a set of 3 Step Drill bits, these are worth their weight in gold to me and I really wish I`d had them years ago, I used to drill out around the circle for the valve holder and then file it. now I can do the entire hole in less than a minute and leave a much better looking job, and they didn`t cost all that much either (less than a tenner).
as for bending, that`s why I chose 1.5mm Alu, it`s not that hard to work with and the final structure(s) are sound and strong, and it gives a nice effect if you dip it in caustic soda for a few mins covering a load of sins made during manufacture.
Old 14th Sep 2009, 7:33 pm   #22
Aerodyne
Octode

It might be worth pointing out that a hacksaw will cut thin sheet more smoothly when the incident angle between the blade and the face of the sheet is low - not at 90 degrees, say about 30 degrees. Low angle means a longer cut section for the hacksaw teeth, giving a smoother cut. This also allows you to cut much further than is possible at 90 degrees. A drop of paraffin or turps or WD40 will help the ease of cutting also.
-Tony
Old 15th Sep 2009, 9:26 am   #23
ronbryan
Octode

Smile Re: Chassis making (Nibbler)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095UK View Post
I have to ask, with regards the hacksaw, How does one go about cutting a sheet that is 250mm wide without the bridge getting in the way?
I use an Eclipse sheet saw to cut metal sheet. It takes a standard hacksaw blade, but the saw frame passes through the cut, unlike a standard hacksaw. I find it preferable to use a fine tooth pitch on thin sheet. I believe a similar saw was also made by Tyzack.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse-Sheet-Saw_web.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	28697  
Old 15th Sep 2009, 9:38 am   #24
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

There are many grades of Aluminium and some are better for bending than others. Unfortunately the ones that are soft enough to bend without splitting are usually horrible to machine and you need plenty of WD40 to get a clean result.
Old 15th Sep 2009, 7:53 pm   #25
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

The saw I use is an Eclipse general purpose saw No 66.There is at least one for sale on the internet at a reasonable price.
Pat G3IKR
Old 18th Sep 2009, 3:41 pm   #26
llama
Octode

The nibbler I use is a Goscut, also known as an Eclipse 2000. I find them quite neat and quick.
Graham
Old 21st Sep 2009, 8:49 pm   #27
saxmaniac
Heptode

Y209, I have sent you a PM as you live near me, but I had another thought, years ago the method for sheeet aluminium was just to score it deeply with a stanley knife & break it by bending repeatedly by hand,this does a pretty clean cut
Old 21st Sep 2009, 9:29 pm   #28
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that, I only have a pair of 250x500mm sheets of alu at the moment for a couple of future projects, I also used to have a goscut as kid but when I ran away from home, it got thrown away along with all my other belongings I couldn`t carry with me
I plan on replacing however!
scoring and using metal fatigue was a back-up plan, I just don`t fancy trying it along a 250mm length, but then again, I`v never tried it so it may be easier than I envision.
Old 21st Sep 2009, 11:08 pm   #29
reelguy
Heptode

Last time I had to bend thin aluminium sheet I scratched a score line using a sharp nail and rule.
Then I clamped it in a B & D Workmate in the upright position with the score almost lined up with the top of the bench but allowing about 2 or 3mm above. Then I just pushed it over using a piece of wood .worked a treat
As for cutting it you might be able to use a circular saw bench provided you clamp the Alu between some scrap wood and the bench and use a fine toothed blade. might need a couple of passes lowering the blade gradually.
Probably dangerous this so TAKE GREAT CARE.
Peter W.....Reelguy
Old 26th Sep 2009, 8:48 pm   #30
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

ok, problem solved, I`v received an Eclipse 2000 And a Goscut today with all the blades, exactly the type I had as a kid

this thread can be closed now.

Thanks each
Closed Thread