UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 8:19 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Radio Design by K. R. Sturley, Part 2 1960s Edition?

Hi!

Here's a poser for everyone!

As most Members will be aware, K.R. Sturley published two fairly thick volumes on "Radio Design" at the end of the last War, Part 2 covering everything after the Volume Control being published in 1948.

I managed to obtain, with some difficulty and expense, a later Edition of Part 1 published in 1965, with some coverage of transistor and F.M. circuitry.

The preface to the 1965 Edition of Part 1 did say "The text for Part 2 of this work is almost fully complete and expected to be published very shortly". – did a 1960s Edition of Part 2 of "Radio Design" ever see the light of day and what would have happened to Mr. Sturley's Manuscript if it didn't appear in physical form?

What would be my chances of a rewrite of the 1948 Edition of Part 2 (with an acknowledgement that this is a derived work) to bring it forward to cover circuit techniques to (say) 1975, and what would need to be covered based on the original Chapter List?

Where could I find all the formulae Mr. Sturley used?

Chris Williams

PS!

CA Quarrington did update his 4 volume work, "Radio and Television", into the 1960s with full coverage of minature valves, FM. mention of 625 line and colour television, current transistor circuitry, etc., but he didn't make any reference to Stereo FM broadcasting tho!

Again he mentioned the possibility of a later edition, but as I've never seen anything after 1963 I presume he died not long after publishing his 4 volume 1963 R & TV set!

Last edited by Chris55000; 22nd Feb 2019 at 8:32 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 12:12 pm   #2
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Default Re: Radio Design by K. R. Sturley, Part 2 1960s Edition?

Hi Chris

You may have already done this, but a good place to check if a book ever existed is in the British Library's catalogue at: http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/l...h.do?vid=BLVU1

Searching for K R Sturley, it returns 3 editions (maybe reprints of the same edition) of part 2 of Radio Receiver Design, dated 1945, 1949 and 1951. So it looks like indeed, there was never any 1960s version of part 2.

As regards you doing a rewrite, I guess the first place to start could be the original publisher, or whoever owns it these days. I presume you would want to self-publish as you would be very unlikely to find a 'real' publisher to invest in the book. If you look at www.lulu.com (or others), you can get an idea of the process and the printing costs for various formats, number of pages, binding, etc.

You could scan the formulae and insert the jpgs into your new text, or create them from new using Insert/Equation in Word.

Hope this helps.

best regards ... Stef
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 2:49 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The modern version of the book I propose to re-write won't be for sale - it will be published F.O.C. and uploaded on the Internet Archive, A.R.H., or on here, and entitled "Modern Radio Design, Theory and Servicing", with an acknowledgement that the original content was based on K.R. Sturley's books, now in the public domain, with updated content based on my own experience!

I'm definitely NOT pleased with the post-war publishing styles in use then, too small and scrappy illustrations & graphs and ancient old type-faces that belong in the ancient mists of time, not on a modern Forum dedicated to preserving our Radio and TV heritage!

The book will not be written like it's just come off Word, it will look like Wireless World from the 1950s, using the "Plantin" typeface and P.W. sloping and W.W. lettering, currently in design!

Chris Williams

PS!

I'll be using my Rigonda 17-valve stereogram chassis and Heathkit tuner for 1960s/1970s valved example circuits, and if I can get one, a GEC G820 multiband transistor set for the transistorised versions!

Last edited by Chris55000; 3rd Mar 2019 at 3:03 pm.
Old 16th Apr 2023, 1:57 pm   #4
Station X

Thread reopened at OP's request.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Apr 2023, 2:48 pm   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

I have now been able to obtain, in nice condition, a GEC G820 for use to provide example circuits for my new Parts 1 and 2 of my updated book, "Modern Radio Receiver Design, Theory and Servicing" – I chose this model because it covers L.W./M.W./S.W./F.M. and has bandspread and a tuning–meter, so covers the full types of transistor radio circuits likely to have been employed commercially over the decades!

Because I have been able to obtain Dr. Sturley's original 1960s book, I am going to write the books in reverse order, starting with the Part II book first!

Like my ongoing T & M Theory and Repair book, this work will collect a lot of the information scattered over many different topics on this Forum into one complete, and free to download and read, radio and TV reference book!

Chris Williams