UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:12 am   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Marconiphone T43DA Question

I liked the look of the radio. However... It looks like the radio is barely a superhet.
radiomuseum lists it as having only 4 valves: UCH81, UF89, UL48 and a UY85 rectifier.
As there is no UBC8* it suggests that: A) It's relatively insensitive. B) It uses the UF89 as a regenerative detector or.. C) It uses a solid-state diode.
I had something like this as a late example of those 'Little Maestro' clone kit radios. A late example that had a mix of minature valves and Mouldseals. It produced second-harmonic images of stations & there was a trimmer to set the regeneration level.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:33 am   #2
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone T43DA Question

Hi Neil,
Answer is B. Leaky grid detector.
From memory there is an extra winding on the IF coil and a trimmer to adjust the regen. In the middle at the rear? Of course you can make it quite sensitive, but not over the whole band...
Also the volume control is not in the AF path?
Yes a very 'cheap' second set idea perhaps?
Alan
Old 15th Feb 2019, 9:04 am   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Marconiphone T43DA Question

In my example of the design If you set the trimmer to bring up Radio 4 on LW it howled like a unruly child when switching back to MW.
With only two domestic stations I guess this sort of stripped down design was okay as a second-set.
I dunno if you could have got Luxembourg at night if it had been passed on to a teenager in later years. It was the images that were such a pain in my brief experience of the kind.
I don't see that the Marconi would have been much better than the kit version of the design I sampled.
The T43DA does look good & concealing the wave-change switch behind the badge is a great touch.
Closed Thread