UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2019, 10:46 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Waltham W154 issues

Hi,

I've been cleaning my Waltham W154 for the past half an hour or so to remove all dust and grime. However, I've noticed that the plastic over the screen is very dirty. I've cleaned the outer side, but inside is quite dirty.

I've had a look inside to see what's holding it on but I cannot see anything. It all looks as though it's the CRT supports. I don't want to begin stripping it down if it's not necessary - I will if there is no other way as it's very dirty, and distracting when watching TV on it.

My second issue with it is a non functioning radio. I have never been able to get a signal through the radio, and I would like to get it working to complete the set.

I don't get any sound from the radio at all, and I'm wondering if I have a faulty aerial. I can possibly use the aerial on another TV with built in radio to see if it is the aerial if need be.

Thanks
Old 12th Mar 2019, 12:17 am   #2
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Waltham W154 issues

Assuming by aerial this is a telescopic one. It's unlikely to be that. In any case these are only used for FM, AM reception will be using the ferrite rod. Do you hear anything at all when switched to radio?
Old 12th Mar 2019, 12:28 am   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

The aerial is telescopic, but is quite damaged, so might be replaced for aesthetic reasons. When I flick the input to radio there is a "bump" sound from the speaker and then just white noise. If I change FM/MW/LW there is noise from the speaker, but i'm assuming the contacts need cleaning.

Thanks
Old 12th Mar 2019, 5:14 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

I just came back to see if there were any replies, and I just thought - wouldn't this be better off in the audio section? It's more to do with the radio and audio side, apart from the dirty TV screen.

Thanks
Old 12th Mar 2019, 7:33 pm   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

There's a very good chance the multi–contact Radio/TV/FM selector switch is itself the cause of your trouble – they have tiny contacts that have to carry the very large battery current of the TV sectionand burnt or intermittently defective contacts were very common on "all–in–ones" of this type!

Chris Williams
Old 12th Mar 2019, 9:35 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh that makes sense. Would this not affect the TV and tape part of things, though? Or are there three wires, each to the respective part?

Thank you for your help!
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:39 am   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

What tends to happen is that the much heaver battery current of the TV section compared to the radio and tape sections tend to burn out the contact wiper as well as the fixed contact, resulting in the radio and tape sections working intermittently or not at all because of the excessive drop across the burnt contacts.

There will normally be three switched 10–11V stabilised rails in this type of combination unit – one lead will lead off to the TV board, a second will feed the tape preamplifier panel (sometimes via a further switch on the cassette mechanism itself so the amp comes on in 'play' mode), and a third lead to the am/fm if circuits of the radio section.

The audio output stage will be directly fed from either the battery/mains unit direct (it doesn't need voltage stabilisation), or from a direct ouput of the 11V stabiliser.

It's worth having a look at the AM/FM/TV function selector switch carefully – (unfortunately I've not had one of these combos for years I'm afraid, and I couldn't find the circuit–diagram for your set, so I can't be more specific!) as there may be an unused section where you can transfer the battery switched wiring to, or, if the switch is directly soldered to the pcb, you might find a spare row of tags containing a complete free section or "pole" you can reuse with a few carefully run link wires!

If the switch has no spare contacts you'll just have to do the best you can with switch–cleaner!

Chris Williams
Old 20th Mar 2019, 2:47 am   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

That makes sense. The tape deck works almost faultlessly (sometimes struggles to FF/RW)

I'll have to take the set apart tomorrow and have a look. The selector is under the tape mechanism and a PCB. (I too couldn't find a diagram for the set, I think there was even another thread a while back asking for one, and there was no luck there, either)

Ill update when I've had a look (And possibly fixed)

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!
Closed Thread