UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 6:35 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Pye 31BX1016/05

The latest addition to my collection is something I've been wanting to have for a while.

My Gran used to have the same model (or another Pye version of the many Philips TX variations) for use at her caravan, as it could be run of a car battery. Also Mark Pirate's resurrection of a Philips TX found in a skip was an interesting read, & shows these seem to be fairly easy to sort out https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=114865

I've on given it a basic shakedown so far but the screen is nice & sharp & the previous owner managed to save the original box & paperwork, including he handbook & bill of sale.

The only real issue I've found is a very noisy volume pot, making the sound output negligible without a lot of fiddling. Has anyone any tips on using tuner cleaner to sort this out & if it's possible without removing the case.

There are a few cosmetic issues that probably can be sorted with a stronger cleaner than the normal household polish I've given it a wipe over with, though a paint spot or 2 might be a challenge.

Also the volume knob didn't fit the pot spindle properly due to some light damage, but I've swapped it for the contrast one, & will probably need some light work to get it fit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2072.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	178448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2073.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	178449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2074.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	178450  
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:41 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye 31BX1016/05

These are great little sets and tend to be utterly reliable, my skip find Philips TX is still happily displaying a superb picture

I suggest you give the pots & tuner buttons a good dose of switch cleaner.
I expect you are the first person to remove the back since it left the factory!

Mark
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:22 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Nice set. Made in Singapore in week 37 of 1981.

Many thanks for the box label picture, the 12NC code number on there will help me figure out that part of the system (the type number is encoded in it, but not quite straightforward).
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:27 pm   #4
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I suggest you give the pots & tuner buttons a good dose of switch cleaner.
I expect you are the first person to remove the back since it left the factory!
Thanks for the advice, I've been looking for a TX for a while but most I've seen for sale have been overpriced and/or spares or repair cases with bits missing.

It's good to hear your skip find set is still running, it helps that a lot of them were mostly used as 2nd sets, so didn't clock up a lot of hours of use before being replaced when colour portables came along.

I'm in the process of getting some switch cleaner, I can also sort out my Dad's old Trio amplifier which is still running fine but has scratchy controls.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:56 am   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Nice set. Made in Singapore in week 37 of 1981.

Many thanks for the box label picture, the 12NC code number on there will help me figure out that part of the system (the type number is encoded in it, but not quite straightforward).
Thanks it was sold at branch 914 of Comet (I assume it's Southampton as the buyers address is in the area) on the 3rd of March 1982.

Interestingly it's only had 1 owner for just short of 37 years.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 9:39 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've been giving this set a few hours use over the weekend, & while it's performed well I've noticed some minor issues.

The aerial socket is slightly loose, & occasionally it's affected the picture, but I've need careful not to put a strain on it. It probably needs just a little resoldering to sort it out.

When the screen is at peak black I can see about 1/3 of the screen is very slightly darker than the rest, but it doesn't seem to affect the picture when displaying anything else so it's probably not worth worrying about.

The other thing is a barely noticeable tilt in the picture that's only really visible when there's something geometric on the screen. This seems to be worse when displaying the centre of a 16:9 image. Again this might not be worth upsetting the apple cart over.

I've ordered some switch cleaner so hopefully I can give the pots & channel selectors a spray.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:21 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

I would be careful spraying switch cleaner in the pots, whilst modern switch cleaner will not have a effect on plastic like the old stuff used to it can have a longer term effect making the plastic soft and crumbly causing it to fail at fixing points.
Remember the GEC first generation solid state chassis sets? often the controls would become loose and push button assemblies would fall inside the set this was usually a few months after someone had given the pot bank "a good squirt"!
If the switches are open one end cleaner can be carefully applied into the end and the switch worked. If the switches are the sealed type a small hole can carefully made in the body and cleaner applied through that.

The multi turn pots can be cleaned with a cotton bud soaked in cleaner clean the tarnish from the threaded spindle and clean the end where the spindle goes through the end contact.
This usually works without risking damage to the plastic.
Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 17th Feb 2019 at 10:45 pm.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:50 pm   #8
Richard_FM
Nonode

OK I'll keep this in mind.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 11:22 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Nonode

Just to update anyone interested I had a look inside to see if I could give the pots a clean.

Judging by the amount of dust & fluff inside it's been a very long time since anyone has opened it up, possible since it left the factory. You are probably right Mark about it never being opened!

As well as some switch cleaner I bought a paint brush to give the inside a sweep, so I managed to get all the dust I could remove out before giving the pots a spray of cleaner.

The aeirel socket was still firmly soldered to the main board so the movement I mentioned was the whole thing flexing slightly.

After waiting a few hours I gave it a try & the sound is now a lot less scratchy when adjusting the volume, but not totally perfect. All the other pots & switches seemed operate smoothly too.

I was surprised it could run for about 3 hours & not have any overheating issues apart from a slight smell of dust. The ariel socket issue seems to sorted itself out, probably due to the dust removal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2082.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	178933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2083.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	178934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2084.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	178935   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2085.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	178936  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 11:26 pm   #10
Richard_FM
Nonode

I have it a run watching The Artist on my PVR & it didn't have any issues.

Above I took a tube label shot as almost every project report seems to have one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2087.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	178937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2089.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	178938  
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:24 pm   #11
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've given the volume pot another squirt of switch cleaner & it's now cured the crackles.

I watched Brief Encounter with my sound bar connected to the headphone socket & it didn't give any problems.
Old 10th Mar 2019, 4:28 pm   #12
Richard_FM
Nonode

Since the last post I noticed that the sound from the speaker seemed distorted compared to the output from the headphone socket.

I carefully unscrewed the speaker from inside the case & found a quantity of dust trapped between the grille & the speaker.

After removing this debris with a paint brush I replaced the speaker & the sound quality was a lot better.

Judging by how tight the screws were I'm guessing it was the first time the speaker had been removed. There was a large o ring between it & the case to damp vibrations down.