UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:26 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: The Sharp CS chassis- our least favourite TV

Isn't all this just the "Titanic Effect?" After all, modern ships still use watertight compartments. And they tend to stay afloat.

The first time somebody tries something new, it's almost bound to go wrong in ways they didn't think of -- and pretty much by definition, going wrong in an unforeseen manner will make going wrong in a foreseen manner look like going right. The next time around, someone else applies the lessons learned in the meantime; and every subsequent incarnation just works beautifully. (Or at least, does not go quite so spectacularly wrong!)

In the case of consumer electronics that might have to be repaired in the field, there is also the fact that repairers won't be familiar with newly-introduced techniques. This, too, can colour people's perceptions of reliability and repairability.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 6:32 pm   #22
Pfraser
Pentode

That certainly sounds likely. I think, in this case, it goes along with the odd phenomenon of a reputable company producing a bit of a dog's breakfast!

It's not just Sharp. A friend in the trade once told me of a Sony Trinitron model which was prone to regular failures which would invariably destroy several other components, due to poor design, in his opinion. On the other hand, I have seen Trinitrons soldier on year after year, in a hot, humid, salty environment, with periodic bouts of vibration and mains supply surges!

One wonders what possesses a firm to jeopardise their reputation like this. I do recognise that nowadays, many/most of the familiar TV brand names are just that: names applied to commoditised products designed and made down to a price.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 10:22 pm   #23
toshiba tony
Heptode

Regarding Ferneshes comments re Sharp bulletins, their Tradenet trade account was so well covered. For those of us that had programmers, either home built or commercial, s\w was available for all their NVM driven sets. Willow Vale provided ANY spares, even resistors and caps had part numbers. How times have changed, you can't even get circuit diagrams now for most sets. And firmware is taken from working sets by the few remaining engineers. WE ARE ALL DOOMED
Yet television is used by nearly everybody.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 1:03 am   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

Philips sometimes used another method to test the waters for new technology. Their first K11 continental inline set 26C466? Reused an outdated K9 styling from a few years back and put it in as the only inline set in the 1974 catalogue amidst lower (X26K201) and higher (26C465) end looking K9 sets. Their first turbodrive VHS? An anonymous looking entry level hifi recorder somewhere amidst the charly and G decks in the 1992 catalogue.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 9:33 am   #25
toshiba tony
Heptode

The charly deck(despite it's issue). Loading rack etc wan't that bad. Horrible clunky cheap noise even when new. The Turbo I liked, I had a Loewe top end machine that searched for tracks by name on an on screen display. I think they claimed it was grease free as well. Sorry wandering off topic. Old age.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:21 am   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think Sharp were convinced that the CS would make service engineers redundant as it was such a reliable chassis and the whole chassis could be replaced by a fairly unskilled tech if it did go wrong.
That was the theory.
However putting everything on an A4 sized chassis with a dodgy LOPT and flaky power supply inches away from a lot of SMD ICs was asking for trouble which they certainly got!
After rebuilding one you'd put an aerial in, sort out the E/W and then - oh no, where's the sound? Ah - a hole in the flat pack class-D IC....
It was a triumph of design, but in the real world should never have been produced. Their subsequent return to conventional chassis proved this, and being on normal SRBP with no clever twists probably cost less to produce.
Their LCD sets were actually pretty good - just repaired an early 12-year old set which just needed an on-off switch and works fine. The biggest problem was the screen in the LD44 which used short-lived backlight tubes. Easy to replace, but at £20 each?
Don't complain about Vestel Sharps until you've seen a UMC Sharp...
Old 15th Jul 2019, 11:23 am   #27
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Three years ago the Sharp Electronics corporation was sold to the Taiwanese concern Foxxcom.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...taiwan-company

Sharp was founded in Japan in 1915. First product was the Eversharp pencil.

DFWB.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 12:59 pm   #28
Maarten
Dekatron

It seems it wasn't sold. Foxconn aquired a controlling stock (66% as far as I can find) in Sharp and has kept it as a separate subsidiary, probably like Philips did with Grundig in the 1980's.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:14 pm   #29
toshiba tony
Heptode

Well this post on the CS has floored me. I hated it as we saw so many. Looking back I can't think of a worse one. Except maybe the 18 inch Pye CT200 and the Pye hybrid 691\697. Sharp were so sure about their CS. They came to our workshops because we considering mass dealership. Peals of laughter, he took a working set to demo on, we were all engineers and he bored the pants off us all. Then he started prattling on about opto-couplers not liking heat. They also don't like being connected 180 degrees to the board. And these were the top guys from Sharp.
Went to the LG site at Milton Keynes on a number of instances, in the days of Plasma. Their guys blew up two new sets. Even then all they could do was swap boards. And these were guys they brought over from Korea. Repairing to component level was frowned upon. No wonder this trade died. As is obvious there are one or two real teccies on here but diminishing yearly.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 3:17 pm   #30
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote Toshiba tony: "Well this post on the CS has floored me. I hated it as we saw so many. Looking back I can't think of a worse one. Except maybe the 18 inch Pye CT200 and the Pye hybrid 691\697"

But at least the CT200 and the 697 could be fixed and the latter mentioned was often the victim of hamfisted bodgers.

Was a widescreen CS ever made?

DFWB.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 3:30 pm   #31
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Not to my knowledge. The production window was mercifully short, though it's true some of the CS series did look a bit widescreen because of the cabinet.
The tubes were always good, but of little use as they were good in other TVs unlike the 30AX.
The annoying thing was Sharp made some pretty decent VCRs around this time (the 381 and later) which were little trouble to repair, so a Sharp TV was the obvious choice for customers.
True, the CT200 and 697 series could be a nuisance, but they were typical Seventies sets. You'd have thought reliability and ease of service would have improved twenty years later...
Old 15th Jul 2019, 3:51 pm   #32
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Pye 691/3/7 were bread and butter sets, the 691/3 were good sets, the 697 not quite as well made but definitely easily repaired.

I didn’t see many of the CT200, the few I saw were straight forward, only let down by the awful picture quality when seen side by side with the similar size screened Hitachi and Toshiba. I understand the later CT200 had a higher voltage focus electrode that improved the picture, I didn’t see any of those.

Seems I was lucky and never saw the Sharp CS models, they were a bit after my time in the trade.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:04 pm   #33
McMurdo
Dekatron

Mm, volunteered to fix one for a friend when I used to take in TVs, I gave up in the end. He took it, somewhat huffily, to the local TV shop who charged him an inspection fee, had it for a month then scrapped it. I suppose they were ahead of their time in one way, the disposable TV.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 10:24 am   #34
phut bang
Triode

well we have had our moans about the sharp cs chassis but does anyone keep a set working or not as a future collectors item?
Old 18th Jul 2019, 11:28 am   #35
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by phut bang View Post
well we have had our moans about the sharp cs chassis but does anyone keep a set working or not as a future collectors item?
I doubt if anyone kept a CS set for posterity, although if one can be found it would be a warning from the past. How not to make CRT TV sets.
Even the much better DS and ES models have disappeared.

Been searching through the filing cabinets. Haven't found a CS service manual but found service manuals for the model DV-5105H (Deco-4 chassis), the models DV5903H and DV6603H (D3000 chassis) and the C-1431H 14" portable TV (8P-SR chassis) Anyone want them?

Will keep looking for any CS service information.

DFWB.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 12:03 pm   #36
Maarten
Dekatron

If ICC5 sets are being preserved, so should CS sets
Old 18th Jul 2019, 12:32 pm   #37
FERNSEH
Dekatron

News Flash! Found the Sharp CS manuals plus a few service bulletins. Models covered are: 59CS-05H and 66CS05H. According to the main service manual the CRT's used in these sets were: 28" VB66EAK25211E and 25" VB59EAK25211E. Were these Philips tubes?
Among my own notes for the CS. On occasions IC201 can fail causing a low horizontal drive waveform. IC type is TDA8375. A simple two stage pulse amplifier was made up to supply the correct waveform to the driver transistor.
Anyway the mod fixed the fault.

DFWB.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 6:51 pm   #38
Maarten
Dekatron

Quite posh Philips tubes even, or rather their Sharp 13 position code numbers. The Philips type numbers would be A66EAK252X11 and A59EAK252X11, respectively.
Closed Thread