UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2009, 4:11 pm   #1
fordboy
Triode

Default Hacker Sovereign output transistor problem

I'm restoring a Hacker Sovereign in blue and I have had a few problems. The set works but after a few miniutes of being on the set gets gradually quieter. At the same time the battery voltage gets lower. After a while both transistors were smoking, and were hot to the touch. I unsoldered one and I've tested it and it has a HFE of 1. What this means I don't know

What I would like to know is if the transistor is at fault or something else. I checked the caps for short circuits in the circuit and didn't see anything.

I'm fairly new to all this electronics lark but I'm restoring it to go with my mate's classic car. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Liam

Last edited by Station X; 12th Jul 2009 at 4:19 pm.
Old 12th Jul 2009, 4:26 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: hacker sovereign output transistor problem

An HFE of 1 suggests that that transistor is knackered.

Remove them both and bin them. Check the conditions without them in and then replace TR4, TR5 and TR6. Then power it up and see if it still overheats. If it does, come back.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Jul 2009, 5:08 pm   #3
fordboy
Triode

Default Re: hacker sovereign output transistor problem

Thanks I'll have a look

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 12th Jul 2009 at 5:15 pm. Reason: Quote of preceding post removed.
Old 26th Jul 2009, 2:52 pm   #4
fordboy
Triode

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign output transistor problem

ok replaced both output transistors, switched on and all is well apart from the fact the transsitors were red hot and smoking
im guessing a resistor in the biasing part of the circuit has gone low?
can anyone please tell me the voltages i should expect to see in the circuit?
thankyou for all your help
Old 26th Jul 2009, 6:58 pm   #5
fordboy
Triode

update:
Ive found that r14 is overheating aswell so do we think that this is the problem or merely a symptom of the problem?
cheers

Liam
Old 26th Jul 2009, 9:06 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

There are several Hacker sets that call themselves Sovereign. Is there a type or model no. anywhere at all? If not, a picture may help?

I think it's the RP18. Anyway, once you know, the manual is up top there. Check for faulty tracks, bad soldered joints and solder bridges.

Change the Electrolytic caps - on the RP18 it's C7, C9, C10, C11 and C13. May be leaky. And check RV4 - the rough check is to adjust for 9v (supply is 18 Volts) on C23. Might be worth changing this one too.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Jul 2009, 6:29 pm   #7
fordboy
Triode

Its a hacker sovereign rp25B and ill get the circuit diagram and check it out.

cheers,

Liam
Closed Thread