UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2009, 5:00 pm   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default GEC BC5445 Advice Needed

I have a GEC BC5445 which has had the capacitors changed and which works quite well - but I have an annoying problem that I would like to resolve.

Whenever a switch elsewhere in the house operates, there is a loud thud from the radio. There is also a little hum that doesn't seem to clear. While neither problem is acute, I wuld quite like to sort them out.

I've got the manufacturers service sheet (from up top), and notice there is no capacitor across the incoming mains. Would it be sensible to add one? Also the dual electrolytic (32uF / 16uF) is original - should I look to change this?

Or am I expecting too much from this set? There is a built-in aerial, and it would be quite difficult to add an external aerial where the radio generally sits, but I've temporarily connected a wire from the aerial socket to the screen of a TV aerial lead (not connected to a TV!) with no noticeable difference.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10th Jan 2009, 5:49 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC BC5445 Advice Needed

Hi Graham, its certainly worth adding a 0.1 or 0.22 uF (Class X type) across the mains input, that should suppress anything coming along the mains wiring. You can also try moving the set to see if its being picked up by the frame aerial.
Slight hum is usually evident on a set such as this; you can always try additional capacity in parallel with the smoothing cap (not the resevoir, connected to the rectifier).
You can also try replacing the cap (if there is one) on the output valve cathode resistor.

Let us know how you get on.

Ed
Old 10th Jan 2009, 6:51 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Isn't the BC5445 an AC only set? If so I can't see any point at all in putting capacitors across the transformer. The windings will have plenty of their own capacitance.

As usual I could be wrong. (Or is that I could as usual be wrong?)
Old 10th Jan 2009, 7:04 pm   #4
GrahamN
Hexode

Yes - it is an AC only set.

Does that mean adding a capacitor would have no effect?
Old 10th Jan 2009, 8:12 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Yes - it is an AC only set.

Does that mean adding a capacitor would have no effect?
Well I wouldn't have thought so and neither apparently did the makers as it was common practise not to place a cap' across the transformer. I wouldn't say that no maker did it but I've never seen one.
Old 10th Jan 2009, 8:45 pm   #6
GrahamN
Hexode

Okay - so is it likely there is a fault with the set?

Surely all AC radios of this vintage didn't make a loud noise whenever a light switch or whatever turned on? Or did they?

This radio even makes a thud when I turn on the tap in the kitchen - presumably something to do with the boiler switching (but dead impressive nevertheless!)
Old 10th Jan 2009, 9:01 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Okay - so is it likely there is a fault with the set?

Surely all AC radios of this vintage didn't make a loud noise whenever a light switch or whatever turned on? Or did they?
They certainly do. That's AM for you. You should hear mine once the central heating gets going and no amount of capacitors change it!
Old 10th Jan 2009, 9:19 pm   #8
Station X

The "thud" could be entering the set via the mains lead or via the aerial. Therefore it will do no harm to try a suitable capacitor across the mains input.

The only way to overcome interference entering via the aerial socket is to increase the signal input by using a decent external aerial. By external I mean outdoors, ie not just a piece of wire up to the picture rail.

I can confirm that this is a common problem. Often the thud or pulse will cause the receiver's AGC to operate reducing the gain a lot. This will result in low volume until the AGC recovers. How long this takes depends on the time constant of the AGC.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jan 2009, 9:24 pm   #9
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello mine go off with a real crack when the fridge cuts in and out. Also as a matter of interest perhaps is that I have a clock that uses 'Nixie' tubes that are multiplex driven and this wipes out a radio in the next room on the other side of the wall ( by the clock) if you see what I mean.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 10th Jan 2009, 11:12 pm   #10
PJL
Dekatron

AC sets will also suffer from RF noise on the mains. The capacitance between the primary and secondary windings will essentially represent a short to common mode interference. My 1935 AC mains HMV set has mains suppression. In AC sets you can suppress this by wiring earth to the chassis and putting Y rated capacitors from L-E and N-E. 22nF is the maximum allowed. Better still try a decent commercial mains filter with a choke.

Interesting about the AGC. You could try slowing the AGC attack time.
Old 11th Jan 2009, 12:10 pm   #11
GrahamN
Hexode

Thanks for the advice. I tried this morning fitting capacitors both across the mains and from L and N to E as suggested. There was no difference at all. I also tried disconnecting the Earth, but again no difference.

I think I'm just going to have to live with this, as adding a better aerial to where the radio sits is really not an option - and perhaps look at sorting out a different radio for listening to Gold while having my breakfast!
Old 11th Jan 2009, 1:59 pm   #12
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: GEC BC5445 Advice Needed

It might be better to put suppressors on the switches causing the interference, mains rated suppressors can be bought with connecting leads to put across the offending switch. Obviously observe safety to make sure the electricity supply is fully disconnected before attempting to fit suppressors which usually consist of a 0.1uf cap in series with a 120 Ohm resistor.

Regards

Geof
Old 11th Jan 2009, 2:49 pm   #13
GrahamN
Hexode

To be honest - it probably isn't worth the expense and time. The problem occurs whenever any light switch in the house is activated, as well as when the boiler, oven, shower etc. switches on or off. As no other radio or TV I have is affected, I can't justify that sort of expense when I can just use a different radio.
Old 11th Jan 2009, 2:51 pm   #14
Station X

It might be worth trying the receiver in someone else's house. This would show whether the problem was with the set or your house wiring.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Jan 2009, 4:36 pm   #15
Geoffrey
Triode

Checking it elsewhere is a good idea. I used to have a similar interference problem on an audio amplifier. Eventually I found a neutral to earth short half way round my ring main. This had no visible effect until the panel was updated with an RCD, but when it was traced and rectified the interference ceased.
Old 11th Jan 2009, 9:19 pm   #16
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, theory is that there is plenty of inductance (and possibly an earthed screen) in the transformer to suppress the interference; however, it will do no harm and may prove beneficial.

Ed
Closed Thread