UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2008, 10:44 am   #1
jjl
Octode

Default In which Decca TV were SAW filters first used?

A colleague of mine was employed as a design engineer at Decca in the '70s. While there, one of his responsibilities was to design a TV IF strip using SAW devices. Apparently this was the first use of SAW devices in a UK designed TV.
Unfortunately, my colleague can not remember the model of TV in which this design first went into production.
I wondered whether any forum member knows the type of TV in question or even has an example of this set.

John
Old 27th Jan 2008, 11:24 am   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: In Which Decca TV were SAW Filters First Used?

Hello John,
I believe the series that you refer to is the DECCA '70' series. It was quite a rare set in the UK but reliable. Model numbers are CN701 and CP897. Hope this info may help. Regards, John.
Old 27th Jan 2008, 7:55 pm   #3
llama
Octode

Default Re: In Which Decca TV were SAW Filters First Used?

My 70 series manual is dated March 1979 if that help pin it down. The IF amp IC SL1430 [quote] has a differential output suitable for driving the surface acoustic wave filter 1SW1 [unquote].
We had one of these nice sets as a monitor where I worked. I think it was Decca's first UK mainstream (ie not monitor) TV with chassis isolated from the mains, but I don't think any sets took advantage of this with eg an AV input.
The only time I've seen them "out and about" was on holiday at Watermouth Castle - every chalet had one. That would have been 1988.
Regards
Graham
Closed Thread