UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2007, 10:39 am   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Barclay radio tuning drivecord.

Hi. Does anyone have a Barclay valve radio (ex Yugoslavian - made by E.I in the mid 1960's) in their collection, that they can give me details of the gang drive cord of (i.e number of turns, direction of travel, and what position the opening aperture of the tuning drum is on the variable capacitor when capacitance is maximum) ?
The cord has 3 loops in its travel, so there are two at each end, and a third one somewhere part way, giving one with a shorter length between loops, and a longer length between loops. I wonder if this was based on the cord drive system for the a.m ferroceptor used on Philips 543/643A radios in trader sheet 1208 ? I think that the middle loop in the Barclay drive cord has been moved/slipped on my example, so I have no idea of the dimensions between each loop on the cord. Luckily for me, the cursor cord is ok, and not broken.
Regards
Mike
Old 15th Feb 2007, 3:00 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Barclay radio tuning gang cord

Hi Mike,
I have a Barclay R2 250 in my collection, if this is the same as yours let me know and I will take the chassis out and take some photos, peering in the back from what I can see the drive cord arrangement looks quite complex! good luck with this!
Rich.
Old 15th Feb 2007, 7:43 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Hi Rich. Many thanks for your reply. I think that my set is the model RR230C, made by E.I. The valve line up is ECH81 (X2), EL84, EZ80, & EM80. There is a range of white push-buttons on the front.

Regards
Mike

Last edited by Darren-UK; 10th Sep 2007 at 11:30 pm. Reason: Defunct link removed.
Old 15th Feb 2007, 9:13 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Mike,This looks like the same set,I have taken some pics and I will try to describe the layout as best I can.

From the tuning spindle three turns around the spindle, round the small pully on the r/h end of thechassis to the intermediate pulley, up over the top of that,two turns round it ,up to the top r/h pulley, along the top of the tuning scale,then the pointer attaches just before the cord is attached to the spring, from there it goes round the pulleys on the l/h end of the chassis and back along the bottom back to the spindle.

The second cord goes from the intermediate pulley (5turns)to the tuning gang (2turns as pic.) Told you it looked complex!
Hope this helps, (and makes sense!)

Looks like we both have a rare set here, seems to be a bit of confusion as to when they were made, looks mid 60s to me.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP06286.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	8274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP06287.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	8275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP06294.JPG
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	8276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP06288.JPG
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	8277  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 10th Sep 2007 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons and general tidying.
Old 17th Feb 2007, 7:17 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Barclay radio tuning gang cord.

Hi Rich. Many thanks for the reply and photos. It is really details of the second cord that I was after, as the cord has come off the tuning capacitor drum (the plastic drum had been broken - I managed to get a replacement), but needed to know how it was positioned on the tuning capacitor at max capacitance, and how many turns & direction of travel it went around the small drum and the tuning gang drum. I think that the middle loop of the cord went in a slot on the small drum, but I am not sure after that how it went?

Does your set have Radio Caroline marked on the dial on 199mtrs m.w (as mine does) ? If so, we have the same radio. It was made about 1966, and known as E.I model RR230C, although E.I deny all knowledge of the radio, it has their trade mark all over the place.

Regards
Mike

Last edited by Darren-UK; 10th Sep 2007 at 11:29 pm. Reason: General tidying.
Closed Thread