UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2006, 12:20 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Aerodyne Eagle

Hi,

I just thought I'd write a little review of the restoration of my Aerodyne Eagle.

The cabinet is still in it's original finish and really only needed minor, spot, restoration and a good polish with coloured wax. The, wrong, expanded steel speaker grill was replaced with something a little more suitable for the period, but I must admit that I'm not entirely happy with that either . The "back door" was fitted with some plain cotton cloth.

Once the chassis was removed it was obvious that the speaker and output transformer was not original . However both these components turned out to be a good match for the output valve so I mounted the O/P TX to the speaker and made period looking black cloth bag to hide them in .

The chassis was a pleasure to work on (very simple). I kept all the original resistors, although some were a little high. Unfortunately all the caps had to be replaced but to keep things looking original I melted them out of their housings and stuffed the new replacements inside, then resealed them with wax.

Bigger problems were a open circuit intervalve transformer which was rewound by Ed Dinning...thanks Ed . The set was also missing a PM2HL valve but I lucky to find a NOS one on ebay.

Oh well I like it it's also my first experience with a TRF and I am quite impressed with the way it works .

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2990   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2991   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2992   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2993  
Old 5th Mar 2006, 8:41 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Aerodyne Eagle

Hello David,

And I like it too, it's a lovely thing, and I especially like the grille with the eagle shaped carving......well done !

Howard
Old 5th Mar 2006, 11:26 am   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Very nice, Dave. Great to see such a neat job.
-Tony
Old 5th Mar 2006, 1:58 pm   #4
JoshWard
Octode

It looks lovely, well done!
Closed Thread