UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2008, 8:20 pm   #1
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Export? Pye Radio

I recently bought a small Pye radio, Type 49Y13 according to the plate. From the valves I would guess it's 50s or early 60s. It's AC/DC 110 - 250volts. However, I've failed to find any data on it. Paul thinks it's probably an export model that's been repatriated.
Has anyone come across it before or have any data?
Thanks
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49Y13.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	21919   Click image for larger version

Name:	49Y13Back.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	21920   Click image for larger version

Name:	49Y13Label.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	21921  
Old 19th Dec 2008, 9:28 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Export? Pye Radio

Hello Alan,

I thought about giving that one a home myself, expecting an export set just from the photo. As you may have noticed already, the valve lineup and their positions are as for the Pye 49 and its related models, which are LW/MW only sets - the 49 circuit might be of some use although tuning and power supply sections obviously differ. It's generally a stroke of luck whenever service data for export models surfaces at all...

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th Dec 2008, 10:15 pm   #3
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Paul,
That was quick, thanks.
I was a bit surprised I didn't get any competition. Anyway, it now has a good home. I sort of collect old Pyes. Not the really ancient ones (yet), but the 40s and 50s ones - P35, P45, P39J/H, PE80 etc. This one just looked interesting. I've had a browse round for anything looking similar, but no luck. I've resisted so far buying the CDs as I'm sure I'd just spend time browsing through them. I just buy the service sheets as and when. I don't expect it will take much sorting out as it all looks pretty conventional. As usual the biggest danger is the mains. Still, I've lasted a good many years without grabbing anything lethal. However, it would still be nice to have some real data.
Alan
Old 19th Dec 2008, 10:53 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes: can only wish you luck there. As far as its age is concerned, the 49 and associated models were released - probably quite coincidentally - in 1949, so I'd guess this one's date is very likely to be the same or a year or two later.

Paul
Old 19th Dec 2008, 11:12 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I've seen one of those before - it was discussed on the forum maybe a year ago. I can't remember much about the thread though, and can't find it.

The valves and chassis layout look very like the MW/LW P43U. Small Pye sets from the first half of the 50s all have very similar circuits.

Paul
Old 20th Dec 2008, 10:33 am   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This will probably be the thread to which Paul refers, albeit regarding the similar model 49Y19.
Old 20th Dec 2008, 2:19 pm   #7
igranic
Rest in Peace

This radio appears to have a metal cabinet. Bearing in mind that it is an AC/DC (live chassis?) set, presumably designed for export to countries with reversible two-pin mains plugs, I wonder how the power supply is arranged so as to protect users from electric shock?
Old 20th Dec 2008, 2:43 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I was wondering about that too. The most likely answer is that the chassis was mounted via rubber bushes to keep the bolts isolated from the cabinet. Seems all very dodgy though .
Old 20th Dec 2008, 2:46 pm   #9
paulsherwin

I've never seen one of these in the flesh, but I think the case is painted bakelite. There is a large metal speaker grille of course, but presumably this is isolated.

Paul
Old 20th Dec 2008, 4:12 pm   #10
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Keep calm, the cabinet is painted plastic, probably bakelite. I had a moment of panic when I first saw it, but it's OK. The speaker grill is well isolated. The mains connector - I haven't got a plug yet - is reversible.
The link that Darren kindly provided looks just like mine. The number's the same except for the last digit. Odd that it's Spain. I'd rather expected Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. I've bought the 49 Trader sheet as a guide. However, I have to think that there will have been some serious jiggery-pockery with (resistor) values to persuade it to work on 110 DC.
I'll try contacting Valentin (previous thread), although he doesn't appear to have posted anything for over a year. I hope he hasn't electricuted himself!
I'll go and play. Watch this space. However, any further information will be gratefully received.
Alan
Old 20th Dec 2008, 5:36 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBeckett View Post
Odd that it's Spain. I'd rather expected Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
Both Australia and NZ had domestic radio industries and associated political lobbies, and imports from anywhere are rare in this period. The Australians had tight safety rules which prohibited transformerless designs and this acted as an informal import restriction - NZ may have had similar laws.

Most British export sets seem to have gone to British colonies in Africa and Asia, though some did go to Europe.

Paul
Old 21st Dec 2008, 3:30 pm   #12
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Nothing much has changed there then!
Nothing from Valentin (previous thread).
I'd better get on with it.
Merry Christmas.
Alan
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 7:53 pm   #13
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

A last update before Christmas, just in case it jogs anyone's memory.
I've taken it to bits. There was a nice layer of dust on the chassis - I like that as it implies not too much butchery recently. The chassis is aluminium so there's no rust to contend with. A soft brush and a gentle blow cleaned it up nicely.
Now for the bad news. First, the main (double) smoothing electrolytic clearly expired some time ago, and some hero had bodged a couple of wire ended ones across it - see attached. Second, the 'main' section of the dropper is O/C. It's a bit disapointing really as it looks OK - nice and clean with no sign of burning etc.
The final bit of good news is that I have a full set of heaters and pilot bulbs - they're in series.
So, I'll have to source a replacement electrolytic then I can fire it up on my Variac - what I called the main section is only used above 200volts.
I'll have to stop over Christmas otherwise I'll be lynched!
Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LittleBodge.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	22011  
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 8:00 pm   #14
Steve_P
Dekatron

The BVWS now do Smoothing Blocks. I'd change them....

As for the blown resistor, cut in halfway and measure the ohms to the ends. One will still be OK - Measure and Double.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 10:24 pm   #15
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Electrolytic:- I was rather hoping to find something that would fit and look right. It's either that or disembowel it and fit modern ones inside.
Dropper:- I'll have a closer look at it first, just in case I can spot a break and join it up again. It's often at or near the connections in my experience. If that fails I thought a little light arithmetic might suffice. I assume Ohms law still works. It was OK last week.
Alan
Old 1st Jan 2009, 7:25 pm   #16
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Peace is beginning to descend, so ......
I've extracted the offending electrolytic - see attached.
It's 2" (51mm) long and 1 3/8" (35mm) diameter. If you can't read the numbers on the picture it's 32 + 32 @ 350VDC. I can stand a bit more height but not any greater diameter as it fits through a hole in the chassis. These things were two a penny when I was a lad, but a guess a bit thinner on the ground now.
I'll have a search.
Happy new year.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrolytic1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	22192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrolytic2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	22193  
Old 1st Jan 2009, 7:58 pm   #17
igranic
Rest in Peace

If you are a BVWS member, these can be purchased from the BVWS Parts Dept., either by mail order (see insert in latest Bulletin), or at BVWS meetings. IIRC the 32uF+32uF are priced at £5.75.

Edward
Old 1st Jan 2009, 8:12 pm   #18
paulsherwin

It's quite legitimate to fit new capacitors under the chassis, leaving the old one in place but disconnected for cosmetic reasons. Modern electrolytics are very small and unobtrusive.

Paul
Old 1st Jan 2009, 9:36 pm   #19
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

I've ordered one that I think will fit OK.
I like it to look sensible.
Watch this space - but it may be a few days.
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 12:45 pm   #20
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

As we seem to have established what the set is - and quite a lot besides - this has run its course as a request for information.

I'll close it and we look forward to seeing the followup either in Vintage Radio (Domestic) or Success Stories.

Regards,