UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2008, 11:40 pm   #1
SGT.Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 1125 trouble

Hi all, it's me again...
When I tune this radio all the way to the left there's loud radio static, and when I tune it to the right, it gets gradually quieter. Sometimes I can pick up stations, but they aren't very loud. Putting my soldering iron on the earth terminal doesn't make much difference. Also, the radio makes no noise whatsoever until I plug something into the aerial socket. I've already replaced the speaker transformer, but it is by no means an exact replacement. There is a 12K resistor in there that measures nothing, but when replaced with a close enough replacement it makes no difference.

Any ideas on how to get this one working?
Old 29th Dec 2008, 12:19 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 1125 trouble

I tend to think about the L.O. if the IF is OK. IF is 470 kHz.

Clean the wavechange switch.

I would first try the voltage to V1 - X78. Then I would go for C8, C9, C6 and R22.

ERT sheet covers this, available up top.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Dec 2008, 3:47 pm   #3
yestertech
Nonode

sounds like the HT volts could be low - Have you checked all the voltages as per service sheet ?
As Steve has mentioned, the oscillator section of the frequency changer looks to be failing. If the voltages are OK ,or more importantly if they are high, then the X78 could be tired.

As to the 12K, it would appear to be part of the potential divider supplying volts to g2,g4 of the X78 and as such may make only a small difference. You should see around 88 volts on the non earthed end of this component - much less would point to the source of the trouble relating to either the HT volts or other resisitor(s).
More troubleshooting needed methinks !

Andy
Old 29th Dec 2008, 4:48 pm   #4
Top Cap
Octode

Check the vanes of the tuning gang are not giving partial shorts down at the crackly end of the tuning scale. Does the crackling appear at the end of the scale where the vanes get more meshed?
Les
Old 29th Dec 2008, 9:11 pm   #5
SGT.Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Well, actually I've just found out that the increased amount of static down one end of the scale is due to mains interference from somewhere. Another radio of mine in full working order is having the same problem. It's just that on the 1125 the stations are quiet and faint, and the radio can't isolate them from the static. Hope that makes sense...
Old 29th Dec 2008, 9:16 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Yes, it does. Makes things a bit easier, perhaps. If the IF is OK, try a large aerial. or C10.

What's causing the Interference?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Dec 2008, 11:27 am   #7
SGT.Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Unfortunately I don't know what's causing the interference, as the set is in a block of flats and it seems to be coming from one of the rooms above or below me. I've tried the best aerial I've got and it still isn't working, and also I've found that the gram input is really quiet, too. I've got to go to Maplin's sometime today anyway, so do you think that changing all the caps in it would get it working?
Old 30th Dec 2008, 2:34 pm   #8
Steve_P
Dekatron

Measure a few voltages and lets see what they are.

HT on the anode of the output valve (Pin 5), HT on the screen grid (Pin 7), volts on the cathode (Pins 2 and 6). Output valve is V4, N78.

HT on the Cathode of V5 - Pin 7 and on the pins of the smoothing block.

Replace C21 if you haven't done already.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Dec 2008, 2:58 pm   #9
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT.Pepper View Post
Unfortunately I don't know what's causing the interference, as the set is in a block of flats and it seems to be coming from one of the rooms above or below me.
Oh dear. I traced the same interference symptoms that you mention to a router here. Luckily it was my own router so I was able to do something to cure it (bought another make) but if that is what it is and it is coming from a router in another flat you might be out of luck.

If you get on with the other occupants it might well be worth asking them to switch their routers off for 2 minutes to narrow it down.
Closed Thread