UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2020, 8:24 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Ultrasonic cleaning

I saw a video on Youtube the other day in which someone restoring a vintage radio used an ultrasonic cleaning bath to de-grime various parts including a tuning gang.

Has anyone had experience in using one of these? They are obtainable quite cheaply. But I don't want to either buy something I will only use once or twice, or something that could damage fragile components. I dread to think of something that could reduce "monkey metal" parts to a heap of sludge!
Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:05 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultrasonic cleaning

This topic crops up from time to time.

Rather than go over old ground, this thread might be of interest:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...asonic+cleaner

The conundrum is that whilst they’re invaluable when needed, for many, the limited use doesn’t warrant the expenditure on a really effective bath. My own experience is that as with most things, you get what you pay for. The bath needs to oscillate at sufficiently high amplitude to be truly effective. I tried two cheap ones with disappointing results, which went back for a full refund before I bought an effective one. That said, others claim good results with cheap ones, but I doubt they would have a tank large enough for a two-gang tuning capacitor.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:09 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think there was a lengthy thread within the last six months on this.
Those cleaners are wonderful if you get a good one, but much caution required if buying the budget ones.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 8th Apr 2020 at 10:38 pm.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 4:34 pm   #4
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
I think there was a lengthy thread within the last six months on this.
Those cleaners are wonderful if you get a good one, but much caution required if buying the budget ones.

B
A few of the budget ones are nothing but an AC buzzer mounted on the bottom of a small vessel. They sell them as a jewelry cleaner. Totally worthless!
I was lucky to get a small one at a charity shop, a real one that works well for small items. It also has a digital timer that can be set for several minutes or so. I used it to clean a ball bearing for a project.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 1:58 am   #5
retailer
Heptode

Take a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY
Old 14th Apr 2020, 3:50 am   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

That's really interesting! I doubt if it competes with a professional grade ultrasonic cleaner for really critical processing (aerospace/defence), but for DIY, it very probably beats many of the "budget ultrasonic cleaners".

Also useful for when a part is too big for an ultrasonic bath.

B