UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 1st Dec 2019, 1:20 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Heptode

Default Roberts R303 - Rexine etc.

Looking for recommendations for an alternative to the seemingly unobtainable "Pine Green" Meltonian shoe cream to refurbish the Rexine on this Roberts R303: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts R303.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	194694

Anyone tried this: -

TRG Shoe Cream Green Island

The observant will also notice that it has lost one of the small brass inserts on the left hand knob - are these difficult to find or easily reproduced?

Last edited by DonaldStott; 1st Dec 2019 at 1:50 pm.
DonaldStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2019, 4:32 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Nonode

Default Re: Roberts R303 - Rexine etc.

Several people here have made reproduction inserts / brights for Roberts, Dynatron etc. knobs -

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=26740

gives plenty of detail on how to go about it - and they've also been offered on eBay etc.. They're concave on these knobs, but I think they're the same as those presented convex on older models, just fitted upside down.

Paul
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 1:50 pm   #3
DonaldStott
Heptode

Anyone tried this: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Blos...5290767&sr=8-4

The brass blank discs I need for the Roberts are 3/4" across but slightly concave just to make things tricky, as Paul mentioned above!

I followed the link to the Thread on reproduction inserts/brights but I don't have the workshop equipment to make these.

Last edited by DonaldStott; 2nd Dec 2019 at 1:55 pm.
DonaldStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2019, 3:32 am   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Hexode

Can you try some underneath to test? I'd go to a big shoe shop and poke around their colours. If it's Rexine then it's never been near leather and possibly won't be rejuvenated by shoe cream to any great extent, apart from perhaps have some of the colour remain on the surface. It might wash...?

If it won't clean up at all, would this do?
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote