UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2019, 7:07 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Thermionics, futurology and Leo the Lion

I was amused by the timing of the thread with the link to Lyon's computer, Leo.

On Thursday, while my car was laid-up for repairs, I was reading my way slowly through a collection of Arthur C Clarke stories and read 'The lion of Comarre' for the second time in my life (the first time was in the sixties)

It was interesting that he wrote much of robotics in his imagined future and spoke of Lee DeForest's triode starting thermionics which led directly to robots. No mention of semiconductors.

He mentioned that in the future, all would be recorded on miles and miles of wire.

I need to check up. I think this one has to have been written pre-war. Tape recorders escaped from Germany at the end of the war, and semiconductors came not long after.

But Leo the lion was indeed a character in the story.

Prediction is obviously a difficult business.

David
Old 7th Dec 2019, 8:44 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Thermionics, futurology and Leo the Lion

Was it in one of his sci-fi books where he wrote of information stored in little crystals in something small enough to be carried around...……….
I would have read this in the 60's when I couldn't get my head around the idea, but it stuck in my memory.

Andy
Old 7th Dec 2019, 11:53 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

There were also Wire Recorders. I remember seeing on in a place I stayed the best part of 60 years ago. AFAIK the principle on which they worked was similar to that used by tape recorders, but instead of tape, reels of (soft iron?)wire were used. Never seen one since.
Andy- Arthur C. Clarke was indeed ahead of his time in basically predicting things like MP3 Players, I-pods and mobile phones!
Old 8th Dec 2019, 10:58 am   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I started a thread here a while ago, seeking information on a wire-recorder I acquired. It was intended for use by a test-pilot in the Hawker Hunter era to record his observations verbally rather than have to write them down.

Andy
Old 8th Dec 2019, 2:55 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The best known wire recorder was the American Webster brand. Used by journalists pre-war and crop up in old American gumshoe movies.

During the War, Hitler speeches cropping up when he was known to have moved on from the place where a speech was given, but sounded live, created a bit of mystery until we discovered the Magnetophon tape recorders after the war. I think wire recording more than thermionic-controlled thinking robots dates the Clarke story with precision.

David