UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 1:57 pm   #81
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: When did PCB tracks become 'traces'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Back to the original topic, I suppose in modern SMT (or should I say SMD) parlance, what we used to call "plated through holes" are now called "vias"
Kind of. 'Plated through holes' describe any hole in the PCB which contains plating between the outer layers. A plated through hole may contain a component leg, or just be there for an electrical connection, or may have only a mechanical function, like a mounting hole.

A 'via', on the other hand, is quite specifically for connecting layers together and no other purpose - it won't have a component leg or anything else in it.

All vias are plated through holes, but not all plated through holes are vias.

The distinction is clear and unambiguous, at least in professional use.

Chris
Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:28 pm   #82
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

One of the guys I used to work with was a serious transport-historian on the side, and his big thing was to talk of "the permanent way" rather than "the railway".

My pet hate of railway neologisms is when the onboard announcer talks of a "station stop", as in "the next station stop will be Reading". I guess it's to differentiate it from the train stopping in the middle of a field or something.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:43 pm   #83
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Visit a radio club event in the USA to hear more variations...
Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:54 pm   #84
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

'Permanent Way' specifically means the track and its infrastructure, whereas 'the railway' covers the whole system including p-way, stations, signalling, locomotives, rolling stock etc. So p-way is a subset of the railway.

Andy
Old 5th Jul 2019, 5:56 pm   #85

Quote:
My pet hate of railway neologisms is when the onboard announcer talks of a "station stop"
I don't mind that at all as some stations won't be stopped at and it distinguishes from simply stopping on the tracks.

Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:28 am   #86
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

One phrase which annoys me, I was reminded on George Clarke's TV programme last night when he used it, is to refer to a normal household mains socket as a 'plug socket'.
No, it is simply a socket.
Does he call the bit on the end of the appliance's wire a 'socket plug'?

Andy
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:17 am   #87
stevehertz
Dekatron

I don't like Americanisms creeping into the English language. However, I don't think 'tracks and traces' is part of that way, it's just two different words for the same thing. And i don't think there was a defined date, but maybe as has been suggested, traces started to become more in vogue as tracks got spidery small.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 2:07 pm   #88
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
One phrase which annoys me, I was reminded on George Clarke's TV programme last night when he used it, is to refer to a normal household mains socket as a 'plug socket'.
No, it is simply a socket.
Does he call the bit on the end of the appliance's wire a 'socket plug'?
You may jest, but I remember doing an exercise during my apprenticeship in which we used a lathe to turn the various parts to make a car cigarette lighter plug. The drawings (to BS308, of course) were all carefully labelled 'Socket Plug'! Us apprentices had a good laugh about it, at the expense of our rather pompous instructor...

Chris
Old 6th Jul 2019, 2:18 pm   #89
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Did George Clarke really say 'plug socket' ?!!

Shame on him!! You are right, Andy.

Don't get me started on 'plug top'......

Peter.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 3:14 pm   #90
AC/HL
Dekatron

That hoary old favourite! Pops up every so often, with the same responses every time.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 8:32 am   #91
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Did George Clarke really say 'plug socket' ?!!

Shame on him!! You are right, Andy.

Don't get me started on 'plug top'......
Aaargh! Early on in my life as a TV engineer I used to do a bit of serving in the shop, and the first time I heard a customer ask for a 'plug top' had me thoroughly confused. What on Earth did he mean - did he really want the cover that you take off the 13A plug? Being a mere lad and not wanting to show my ignorance, I tentatively offered a standard 13A plug and he asked 'how much?' So I learned on that day that some (IMO odd) people call plugs 'plug tops'. It grates even to this day!
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:48 am   #92
crackle
Rest in Peace

You go to the train station to catch a train, not a railway.

Mike
Old 12th Jul 2019, 11:02 am   #93
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
You go to the train station to catch a train, not a railway.

Mike
No you don't, you go to the railway station to catch a train.
Also to make timetable enquiries, buy an advance ticket, meet someone arriving by train and all the other activities associated with the railway.

Andy
Old 12th Jul 2019, 11:22 am   #94
ms660
Dekatron

Well, as it happens I had to take someone down to the local train station a few days ago, the sign at the entrance said....in a word....Station....nowt else, it's a train station to me but it could be a railway station for others, it doesn't make any difference, I'll leave the tube station for someone else to work out.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 12th Jul 2019 at 11:29 am.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 3:07 pm   #95
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Lawrence,
Given that you are obviously very keen to preserve the correct terminology and jargon used in the mining industry, as shown in your current thread on the subject, and you're obviously old enough, like me, to predate the modern fad for 'train station', I'm very surprised (and disappointed) that you espouse its use.

Andy
Old 12th Jul 2019, 7:01 pm   #96
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Lawrence,
Given that you are obviously very keen to preserve the correct terminology and jargon used in the mining industry, as shown in your current thread on the subject, and you're obviously old enough, like me, to predate the modern fad for 'train station', I'm very surprised (and disappointed) that you espouse its use.
Andy, don't be disappointed with me, one of my school teachers said he was disappointed with me but to be honest I was disappointed in his teaching skills!!

Train station might be a modern fad to some but not to me or many folks I know and I suspect thousands or maybe millions of others, you can call a railway station a train station just as you can call a railway a railroad or a circuit diagram a schematic.

My Dad called the railway a railroad, eg:

"Aye, any road....he worked down on (t')railroad"

Having said that he mixed with and fought along with the Yanks at Omaha Beach during WW2.

Each to their own I guess.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 3:42 am   #97
IanBland
Hexode

Well I'm 53 and I'm pretty certain I've heard "train station" throughout my whole life. It makes sense to me. A bus station is where you catch a bus. You don't catch a road there. So, at the bus station you catch a bus, at the train station you catch a train, and at the petrol station...

darn
Old 13th Jul 2019, 5:09 am   #98
TonyDuell
Dekatron

And as an old joke puts it "A train station is where the train stops. So what's a workstation?"
Old 13th Jul 2019, 7:01 am   #99
kalee20
Dekatron

And a radio station?
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:34 am   #100
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBland View Post
Well I'm 53 and I'm pretty certain I've heard "train station" throughout my whole life.
darn
No way!

I believe the term became trendy in the wake of railway privatisation, when the operation of the network was separated from the running of trains by the Train Operating Companies (TOCs). The TOCs were/are only interested in their own trains, and this is reflected in all their marketing and publicity. On the other hand the provision of the railway infrastructure, initially by Railtrack, and subsequently Network Rail, is a step removed from Joe Public buying a ticket. So now he sees the word 'train' everywhere, rather than 'railway'.

I suggest attempting to apply logic to use of words is irrelevant. 'Railway Station' has been in use since the dawn of the railway in the 1830's, I see no reason to change it to fit in with later uses of 'station'.

Andy
Closed Thread