UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2011, 2:29 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default Identifying a ferrite core board.

Is anybody able to identify the following board? It consists of a stack of two core planes and great strips of diodes. The eight transisters present are motorola devices marked SM2824. The board itself is stamped "E2000 Memory", "52 by 52" (52 by 52 cores?) and is dated "? 18 1969".

All the component pieces have SM prefix part numbers. The only sign of a company logo is a stylised "BN" on the PCB. The edge connector is 32 + 32.

It's about time I gave my tired desktop a RAM upgrade...

Robs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferrite core board.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	56682  

Last edited by HMV 1120; 28th Sep 2011 at 2:35 pm.
Old 4th Oct 2011, 8:34 am   #2
AVOmeter
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Identifying a ferrite core board.

what you have there is most likely to be a magnetic core memory chip with 2 layers of wire grids with ferrite beads threadded onto them in a specific pattern, each ferrite bead represents one bit of information and the cores can be magnetized in two different ways (clockwise or counterclockwise) and the bit is stored in a core as zero or one depending on that core's magnetization direction.

hope this helps with the identification

Stephen
Old 4th Oct 2011, 9:31 am   #3
woodchips
Octode

Hi, looks very similar to an old accounting computer I bought decades ago, made by Friden and used a electric typewriter as the input/output. Wished I hadn't scrapped it now, but was rather large and heavy. The boards were about 10" by 8". The core store was the working memory for the whole machine. Bob
Old 4th Oct 2011, 9:59 am   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Burroughs?

Wikipedia - Burroughs:
A revolutionary adding machine was the Sensimatic, which was able to perform many business functions semi-automatically. [...] The Sensimatic developed into the Sensitronic which could store balances on a magnetic stripe which was part of the ledger card. [...] The Sensitronic was followed by the E1000, the E2000, E4000, E6000 and the E8000, which was computer system supporting magnetic tape, card reader/punches and a line printer.
Kat
Old 4th Oct 2011, 12:13 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV 1120 View Post
The only sign of a company logo is a stylised "BN" on the PCB.
Not really relevant but if that logo were really DN it would be Dynamit Nobel a manufacturer of the basic PCB substrate material.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Oct 2011, 12:17 pm   #6
HMV 1120
Hexode

Many thanks to you all so far,

I have so far been unable to find any technical information (or even a date) on the Burroughs E2000 machine. I haver however come across the following brochure for the E1400 (1966) HERE. A US origin seems likely as most of the discreet components are from US manufacturers.

Robs
Old 7th Oct 2011, 11:52 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Where did the more obvious components originate?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 8th Oct 2011, 12:11 am   #8
HMV 1120
Hexode

Motorola, Sprague and G.E. (General Electric?), as well as "Trimit"for some variable resistors. On closer inspection (via a hand lens!), a faint quality control stamp is visible on the back with a "B" marking identical to the capital B used in the Burroughs logo.

Robs
Old 17th Oct 2011, 5:41 pm   #9
DNaegle
Retired Dormant Member

I have the exact same board. As near as I can tell, it's from a Burroughs E2000 machine, which was from CA 1969. I was looking for further information when I found your post.
Old 18th Oct 2011, 9:38 am   #10
ricard
Octode

I used to have (maybe still do) some boards for a later Burroghs machine, E8000 or something like that. Interestingly, virtually all TTL chips had Burroughs type numbers on them (in the form nnnn-nnnn, like (fictuous example) 6356-3002). The seemed to be for the most part anyway standard TTL chips when looking at the schematics.

HMV 1120: That really is a wonderful sales brochure. How [computing] times have changed...
Old 18th Oct 2011, 12:50 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Not just computing..... there are some interesting period stereotypes in the pictures! "Your operator" for example.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread