UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:44 pm   #1
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Default Colour TV Press advertisements

Today I picked up a copy of the London Evening Newspaper from May 19th 1967 at a car boot sale. It had a great colour ad for the upcoming colour TV service picturing a football scene so I had to buy it. It looks like a 25" Baird M701 dual standard set. Does anyone know how much it would have cost to rent such a set in 1967? I seem to remember you could rent one of those small tube 'simple decoder' sets in 1968-9 for 30/- a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	170310  
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:48 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Colour TV Press advertisements

Some information here.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/ctv-press-adverts/
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 10:05 pm   #3
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Many thanks Frank. That 25/- per week in 1967 equals £22 today. You had to be pretty well off to afford that sort of money for a few hours of colour broadcast from BBC2 only. How times have changed...

I should add that the 25/- a week was for the 19" sets. The 25" sets were 35/- equaling £31 today!
Old 4th Oct 2018, 12:05 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Due to the low hours of colour TV and only BBC2 there were not many sets sold or rented, the supply was scarce as well, set makers were not producing a lot of dual standard sets.

The boom started when all three stations went colour with single standard sets and demand ramped up in the early 70's.