UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:37 am   #41
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: A crapophone fix?

You don't need to go to a shop to convert records into MP3 format. The free app Audacity can generate MP3s from music on YouTube of which there is a good selection.

Peter
Old 15th Sep 2018, 5:14 pm   #42
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Online services like

www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter

will download the soundtrack of most youtube videos directly as an MP3
Old 16th Sep 2018, 10:29 pm   #43
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
You don't need to go to a shop to convert records into MP3 format. The free app Audacity can generate MP3s from music on YouTube of which there is a good selection.
I thought you need to enable the "Stereo Mix" sound source to record off Youtube. It is possible to do this still in win 7, is it possible to enable "stereo mix" in win 10?

Mike
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:03 am   #44
1100 man
Octode

Could not said 'crapophone' meet with an unfortunate accident? Cat jumps on table, crapophone falls on the floor and smashes into a thousand pieces... You'd be devastated of course and the only consolation would be to buy yourself a proper gramophone!!

Seriously though, I recently, for the first time, repaired a portable gramophone from 1927. It was really quite amazing to listen to records recorded in the early '20's. All of us youngsters (50 somethings!) were blown away by this totally mechanical device that could play entertaining music with no electricity! You will have to get yourself a proper one and experience the same thrill!!!

All the best
Nick
Old 18th Sep 2018, 3:24 am   #45
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
http://www.amish.classicalgasemissio...apOPhones.html
Have you tried it?
Yours, Richard
Old 18th Sep 2018, 8:50 am   #46
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by firtree View Post
This of course provided The Husband lets go of his dream of converting it into a record player. He's already started measuring and sketching...I married MacGyver.
If your husband really wants to go for it...it strikes me that if I wanted to mount the horn-arm-soundbox on bearings, and if I wanted to start from somewhere where most of the work was done already, I'd use the hub-bearings-spindle from a scrap pushbike wheel. I think having a gramophone obviously made of parts of a recycled bicycle would be quite cool. And all in the cause of hi(gher) fi
Old 16th Oct 2018, 4:01 pm   #47
firtree
Triode

Hi, all, sorry for the radio silence, life got in the way. Currently, in light of other urgent and non-skippable life events the crapophone project has been put on the backburner until further notice :/ Thanks to everyone who contributed their invaluable advice. The project is not dead, it's just resting!

(oh, and CD the English way, see dee)
Closed Thread