UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2014, 4:20 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Brief outage, forum and other websites

Due to the hosting company connecting the server to a Gigabit port (as I ordered) instead of the current 100Mbit one, it will be offline for up to a minute at around 11pm UK time (GMT+1) this evening.

This will affect all my websites such as this forum and my service data site, as well as BVWS, NVCF and some other clients who I've already moved across.

If you are posting or replying to a thread at around that time please copy/paste the text to Notepad or something before clicking the Submit button, just in case you happen to submit it during that minute, so you don't lose what you typed.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 9th Sep 2014, 4:42 pm   #2
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: Brief outage, forum and other websites

Only a minute or two - that's pretty efficient work!
Old 9th Sep 2014, 7:33 pm   #3
paulsherwin

They only have to move a patch cord.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 8:14 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Exactly, and then possibly update some routing tables. The network adaptor in the server is Gigabit, it's just connected to a 100Mb port on the network switch currently.

The network switch and port are recorded in my account against the service too, probably for bandwidth usage monitoring (I have 10TB/month allocation), so that'll need to be updated after the change-over is done too.

The main benefit of the port speed change will be reducing the time the overnight network backups take. I doubt it will noticeably affect the speed of the websites.

Paul Stenning
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:12 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I received an email at 23:05 saying it has been completed.

I wasn't on here at the time so didn't notice if the outage was significant or not. Hopefully it went unnoticed.

Paul Stenning
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:24 pm   #6
Glowing Bits!
Octode

I was on here throughout and nothing happened, the site seemed to work as normal.

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to this forum to keep it working.
Old 10th Sep 2014, 12:46 am   #7
paulsherwin

Although they quoted a minute, the site was probably unavailable for just a few seconds while the cable was physically moved. The ethernet hardware address won't have changed so there is very little to dynamically reconfigure. Some of the LAN switches may have had to learn a new hardware address, but that takes milliseconds.
Closed Thread