UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2018, 10:48 pm   #1
samuria
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goblin D26 Teasmade

Hello, anyone have a wiring plan for one of these. I've been given one by the wife of a old pal who sadly passed away. The light works, the clock works, the kettle works, but I can't get the buzzer going. The kettle will start at the alarm time and boil, but not switch off. What's the correct way to set the alarm etc? a copy of a manual anyone? thanks guys
Old 11th Oct 2018, 3:49 pm   #2
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Goblin D26 Teasmade

The kettle when boiling uses steam pressure to expel most of the boiling water into the tea pot, the reduced weight of the now nearly empty kettle then opens a switch to turn off the kettle.

If the kettle is boiled without the lid in place, then the water wont be expelled into the tea pot and the kettle will carry on boiling until enough water has boiled away to reduce the weight.
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:17 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

This thread may be a starting point: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=teasmade
Old 11th Oct 2018, 7:41 pm   #4
samuria
Retired Dormant Member

First the kettle was boiled with the lid on the other link is for a different model...
the kettle is in need of a good descaling... would that alter the weight issue? when i dial the alarm round it makes a slight click and the kettle starts. is there away to clean the contact on the alarm buzzer? i thought it might be dirty etc
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:45 am   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

All Teasmades from the 1930s to the 1970s are pretty similar in how they operate. The D26 is the "bring your own teapot" variant; which is even simpler, as it does not include the "teapot present" switch

The base on which the kettle sits actuates a changeover switch. When the kettle is full of water, the base rocks down and the changeover switch sends power from the timer switched contacts (connected to the moving contact) to the kettle heating element. When most of tbe water has been transferred (by steam pressure) to the teapot, the base rocks up and the switch contact changes over. Now power from the timer switched contacts is diverted to the buzzer and lamp.

If the kettle is placed on its base with no water in it, then the timer contacts will already be connected to the buzzer as soon as the hour hand of the clock reaches the set time. (Note that the set time is supposed to be when the kettle has finished boiling, so the switch contacts actually close several minutes before the hour hand reaches the indicated time.)

You should be able to do all the tests you need with a simple multimeter and the Teasmade not connected fo the mains. The symptom of "no alarm / kettle never switches off" sounds as though the changeover switch is stuck in the .""down" / "kettle full" position.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:36 am   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The buzzer in these Teasmades has no contacts. It's just a coil of wire connected to the mains (when the buzzer is in operation) with a magnetic armature 'flap' at one end. The flap is attracted when current flows through the coil, it springs back when there is no current. As the mains is AC, the flap vibrates 100 times a second (it's attracted on every _half_ cycle of the mains) thus buzzing. It's possible the coil has failed but unlikely.

I agree with Julie that the problem is most likely related to the kettle-full switch/mechanism. You should be able to press down the platform the kettle goes on (it's hinged at one side I think) and have it spring back when you release it. Sometimes enough water is spilt from the kettle over the years to cause rusting in that area, either making it stick or rusting away the return spring that pushes the platform up again.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 9:02 am   #7
samuria
Retired Dormant Member

many thanks for the info... will try what you have stated after i have given the kettle a good descaling thanks folks
Old 14th Oct 2018, 8:17 pm   #8
samuria
Retired Dormant Member

well the 2 springs and switches were very rusty and broke when they were touched. so now i have removed the clock and lamp part and will now use it as a light with a alarm clock.
like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-C...53.m1438.l2649
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:41 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuria View Post
well the 2 springs and switches were very rusty and broke when they were touched. so now i have removed the clock and lamp part and will now use it as a light with a alarm clock
That's a shame. But you probably could still repair the kettle base, using a spring from a large assortment (available cheaply online from The Usual Places) and some contacts taken from a 10 amp relay, or a microswitch.
Old 15th Oct 2018, 8:22 am   #10
samuria
Retired Dormant Member

it depends on how you see it
i will have a nice bedside light with built in clock, and working alarm.... try finding a light with clock of that period. but i see your point i do have another teasmade a d25 which works ok, only so much room on a bedside table....
Closed Thread