UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2021, 8:43 am   #1
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Default DAC90A Celestion speaker - performance of smooth vs. ribbed cone

After a couple of posts aimed at finding a replacement speaker for my 1957 DAC90A, I managed to find a replacement (of sorts) on eBay.
The model I got is a S6JQ (shown in the first two photos). The magnet looks the same as that of the S6KQ on my DAC90A, but the cone is smooth as does not have the 2 concentric ribs found on both the S6KQ and on earlier speakers with the larger magnet (see, e.g., picture #3). The main specs are the same: 6.5 inch diameter and 3 ohm impedance.
To my knowledge, based on posts, ads and google searches, all DAC90As have been originally equipped with ribbed cone speakers. Should the performance of the radio be substantially different with the smooth cone speaker? Once the speaker arrives I will try it out, but I'm curious as to what expect from it vs. the original double-ribbed one. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Helder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	234341   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	234342   Click image for larger version

Name:	celestion S6KQ.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	234344  
Old 18th May 2021, 2:00 pm   #2

Default Re: DAC90A Celestion speaker - performance of smooth vs. ribbed cone

No difference at all.

Old 18th May 2021, 2:12 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The 3rd photo shows a cone that may have slightly more "give" - but on that output stage and in that cabinet, you'll be unlikely to hear any difference at all.
Old 18th May 2021, 2:52 pm   #4
DonaldStott
Octode

I tend to use the old Mantra "Just Listen" - if it sounds better then for you it is better and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

The ribs on the speaker are probably reinforcing the cone but I don't see how that would impact on 'performance'? Perhaps others will disagree but not sure how one would assess or measure any differences?

By the way, what was wrong with the original speaker?
Old 18th May 2021, 6:28 pm   #5
Helder Crespo
Hexode

Thanks everyone. By performance I meant frequency response as well as low distortion. I have performed kalee20's mods in my radio:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35784)

which have resulted in a broader frequency response - very noticeable as the radio is also equipped with a Bluetooth module Colin Boggis' mod:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1199800).

DonaldStott, the original speaker was in a poor state (I give a brief summary of its condition and of my attempt at repairing it here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...dac90a+speaker

and in spite of my efforts, its performance (based on my hearing alone, as I didn't do any spectral analysis or anything) is significantly worse than that of my second DAC90A (namely in terms of resonance/distortion). So my reference is basically my second DAC90A.
Closed Thread