UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2020, 4:13 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Saved a Beolit 700 from scrap

The local charity warehouse wouldn't accept our stuff due to being overwhelmed with Covid sort outs but I spotted a Beolit 700 sticking out the top of their scrap bin and had to rescue it.

It is the later sliding potentiometer version in vivid orange/red but does have a few cosmetic defects including broken aerial, broken mostly missing handle, and most seriously a missing bottom panel that holds it together (someone has tried silicon glue and a screw). Plugged it in and it works really well with no scratching on the sliders so I will try patching it up as it is a 1970's Jacob Jensen style icon.

It will never be anything close to perfect but I should be able to fabricate a new base plate and maybe even a handle from some aluminium.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 4:50 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Saved a Beolit 700 from scrap

It may be worth looking out for a non worker to buy, and make one out of the two. Possibly the main reason for moving these sets on is bad loudspeakers. Sounds like you have a good un. I believe the LS are near impossible to replace.

John.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 7:37 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I should have added if you need help / template for making the base I can help.

John.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 8:06 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

Well done that man it's a matter of being at the right place at the right time !
Old 20th Aug 2020, 9:38 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

I have always felt B&O were over-rated but this radio is very impressive with excellent sound quality and RF performance. I gave a donation of a £1 for it and it really is a cosmetic mess but worth a little effort to patch it up so I can use it.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 7:53 am   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

For my money, style overtook substance at B&O around 1974. The earlier Beocords, the Beomaster 5000 tuner and the 4000 turntable were all excellent and ground-breaking products. After that, things went downhill pretty rapidly.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 2:34 pm   #7
Bill
Pentode

A relative gave me a Beolit 611 radio a few years ago. I think it dates back to 1965. The sound quality and sensitivity are very good. After a clean up and set of Nicad Ds fitted, it looks and works like new,except for one thing..... The plastic case has changed from red to a middle brown and looks very dull and boring.I put this down to the fact that the radio spent most of its life on a window ledge in sunny South Devon and has been got at by ultraviolet.The cream speaker grill and fascia appear unaffected.
Closed Thread