UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2020, 12:09 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: New interference on MW

Yes, the way LLU works is that third party ISPs like Sky and TalkTalk are allowed to install their own equipment in secure racks in BT exchanges, and the subscriber lines are terminated there rather than in the BT racks. BT engineers aren't allowed to do anything to the LLU kit which is maintained by third party engineers.

It's really a triumph of free market ideology over common sense, but that was the way that governments of all parties were thinking 20 years ago when it was set up.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 12:14 pm   #22
PaulR
Dekatron

The new supplier is Plusnet which, I think, has a connection with BT so I don't know which equipment they will use. I have to say that things worked a lot better when we were with BT, it was just very expensive
Old 21st Aug 2020, 12:22 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Plusnet are a BT subsidiary and use BT hardware in the exchange. They have their own internet backbone, but that is upstream of the BT DSLAM which interfaces with your phone line.

Plusnet tech support is normally much better than BT in the event of problems. They use UK call centres, and there's a reasonable chance that your problem will be referred to somebody who actually knows something about telecoms and networking. They are required to operate at arm's length from BT by the regulator though, so you can still get buck passing between Plusnet, BT and Openreach.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 12:29 pm   #24
PaulR
Dekatron

I have already used Plusnet support as they were planning to change the phone number when they took over. That was sorted out with no problem so hopefully all will be well.

The transmitter is fine now having been moved a but further from the squeezebox so I can revert to using may Philips Musicmaid as an alarm clock.
Old 21st Aug 2020, 1:47 pm   #25
Gabe001
Octode

I'm with plusnet and they've been good at sorting the odd problem out for me. Couple of things to be aware of:

They have pushed an upgrade on their hub one router last year which is causing dropouts with 5Ghz wifi band to some customers (myself included) so be aware of that.

They traffic shape so you may notice a slowdown of internet during peak hours.

Having said this I'm satisfied with them. Anyway we're going off topic and I'm glad you've sorted it.

Gabriel
Closed Thread