UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2008, 10:14 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Ferranti 146 overhaul.

My usual 'line of activity' is comms. receivers & test equiment. However, about two weeks ago, a very scruffy Ferranti 146 was plonked in my hands. The previous owner was going to take it to the skip , but said "since you like tinkering around with old radios, would you like this?"

Upon initial examination, it was in a very poor state - but nothing unusual. Repair work consisted of wholesale replacement of the wax capacitors & electrolytics; ECH35 & EF39; several Rs; tidy up & replacement of some wiring; re-alignment; replace mains cable; reset drive cord (was slipping); general removal of lots of dust & filth inside & outside the cabinet; re-spray front grille; polish cabinet.

On air-test, it performs very well (MW, LW and SW) using a 6 ft. length of wire for aerial.

This is not presented as a 'restoration; no attempt has been made to return it to 'concours condition', although parts have been used that look (in most cases) in-keeping with its vintage. To me, this is an extensive repair to return it to its original performance and a clean up of the casework. I am pleased with the result, so to me it is a "success story".

A few pics. follow. I haven't included many, since most of us know what a Ferranti 146 looks like inside.

(In the first pic., you can just make out my Racal RA-17 and Metcal soldering iron in the background.)

Al. / Skywave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet before.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	20189   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet after.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	20190   Click image for larger version

Name:	underneath.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	20191  
Old 28th Sep 2008, 11:01 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Ferranti 146 overhaul.

Hello Al

I like the Ferranti 146. In my opinion, it looks and sounds like a proper wireless.
I came across the example I have about 12 years ago at a car boot sale at Brighton station just when I was starting to get back into collecting old radios.
My set had a poor connection to the metallised screening of the EF39 IF amp causing howling instability, and crumbling inner and outer insulation of the screened lead to the grid of the EBC33 triode causing unpleasant loud crackling and occasional periods of silence.

John
Old 28th Sep 2008, 11:47 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ferranti 146 overhaul.

Hi!
Yes, the deterioration of the metallized screening on EF39s seems very common; I meet it more often in old comms. receivers. I had the same fault as you describe on this set; recognised it straight away. Strange how I rarely find this problem on ECH35s though. Does the EF39 run hotter? Or?
Talking of which, I had no end of trouble trying to get the aerial / oscillator tuning to track on this Ferranti - until I changed the ECH35. This was a new one for me. But there hangs half the fun of doing what we do, eh?

Al.
Closed Thread