UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2020, 3:32 pm   #1
Mistral13
Triode

Default Ferrograph Series 7 pinch wheel / capstan roller

Hi all and Happy New Year,

The original capstan roller on my recently acquired Series 7 is completely absent, liquified rubber and all. Having read as much as I can on this forum I have a three part question I'm hoping somebody can help me with:

Am I correct in assuming that there are only two sources of these spares; Terry in the USA and David Durrant here in the UK?

Does anybody have details of the dimensions of the pinch wheel, especially the metal part, in case I need to have one machined to be re-rubbered? The mounting shaft measures 6.33mm diameter, so I am assuming that the roller bore would be 1/4" in imperial.

Does anyone have a current e-mail address for David Durrant, I suspect the one I have is defunct?

By way of a bit of background, this machine (a lowly 722 Mk2) was bought as a 'spares' unit, but on further investigation has proved to be repairable.

The electronic side of things is working, the heads are in good condition, a replacement set of idler wheels is enroute, so there only remains the capstan roller to get the unit working. In fact the only fault I have found so far (apart from the inevitable dirty switch contacts) is a dead diode across one of the solenoids.

As for the reason for buying? Just a bit of nostalgia for my student radio days in the 70s and my liking for a bit of a puzzle!

Regards,

David
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 10:21 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph Series 7 pinch wheel / capstan roller

Welcome aboard!

A line you might pursue is as illustrated in the current thread started by Ferrograph 723. I'm pretty sure this is a TEAC pattern roller, as used in the X1000/2000 series and available from Black Reel in Germany, if memory serves. Not having actually done this myself, I don't know if the centre bearing will need reaming to fit the shaft.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 9:27 am   #3
nutteronthebus
Hexode

try http://www.ferrographworld.com/index.htm they have a lot of info the last address I had for David was
Dave Durrant
Mouse Hall
South Lane
Houghton
BN18 9LN

there is a set of idle wheels for sale on that site for £30
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 10:36 am   #4
Mistral13
Triode

Thanks to both of you for the replies - much appreciated.

I e-mailed David a few days ago using a btinternet.com address, but have yet to get a reply, although it is quite likely that he is away over the holdiay period.

I have also contacted Service Sound to see if I can get confirmation of his e-mail address, as I have come across a different one on other threads.

As for the pinch wheel, it measures (approximately) 32mm OD, 6.3mm ID and 12mm high - or 1.1/4" OD by 1/4" ID by 1/2" high - I need to do a little more dismantling to get a digital calipers in there for precise measurements and I'm assuming that the dimensions are based on the imperial system like the rest of the machine.

I do have a plan B for this issue, there are replacement 'tyres' being advertised on eBay, which I could marry up to a machined boss if all else fails, but I see that as something of a last resort.

I think I have read elsewhere that a TEAC wheel may be adapted, so I may investigate that further if the sellers can supply accurate dimensions.

Still, it is early days and I am in no rush - and it wouldn't be much fun without a challenge!

Regards,

David
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 2:22 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral13 View Post
As for the pinch wheel, it measures (approximately) 32mm OD, 6.3mm ID and 12mm high - or 1.1/4" OD by 1/4" ID by 1/2" high - I need to do a little more dismantling to get a digital calipers in there for precise measurements and I'm assuming that the dimensions are based on the imperial system like the rest of the machine.

I do have a plan B for this issue, there are replacement 'tyres' being advertised on eBay, which I could marry up to a machined boss if all else fails, but I see that as something of a last resort.
Ted mentioned Teac pinch rollers. I have here one from a Teac X-10 machine but it's common to a range of Teac reel machines.

At a rough measurement, 32mm OD, bearing OD 5mm and boss OD 17mm. Tyre and boss width 13mm.

There are three different Teac tyres available from PRB. I've had good success with three of these. One of the PRB Akai tyres I was able to press into service for an old Otari machine for which the genuine article seemed unobtainable.

Over here in Perth, OZ, until a few years ago a fellow working in rerubbering would custom rerubber pinch rollers and idlers. It was a great service but unfortunately he has now retired.

If using a rerubbering service be careful that the hardness of the rerubbered tyre is as per or close to the original hardness. This may not always be easy for the technician to establish with accuracy, for rubber tends to go either soft and gooey or slowly harden over time. Difficult to find an original sample that hasn't deteriorated. In the end, some educated guesswork may be required.

My impression so far is that the PRB tyres are of a hardness reasonably close to what they should be.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 3:33 pm   #6
terry123
Pentode

Hi

Geoff at Servicesound would be your best bet for a new production series 7 pinch wheel.

http://www.servicesound.com/contact.htm

Terry
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 4:57 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've met Geoff, a really nice chap! He used to have a small shop here in Bexhill town centre but as indicated, he's now based at home. I was the "Man from the North" popping in and out!
He converted a 100v line [ex Night Club] PA amp to an 8 ohm output for my son's Festival business.

I'd commented on the often diverse views re the Ferrograph Series 7 [at post 16*] on the thread started by 723 [and mentioned by Ted on here] but I had completely forgotten that Geoff gives the Series 7 a very positive write up indeed on his website.

Dave W
Old 7th Jan 2020, 9:59 pm   #8
Mistral13
Triode

Just a short note to say that I did post a reply to the above messages a few days ago, but being 'on probation' means that my posts have to be approved by a moderator!

I entirely understand why, but I didn't want folks to think that I was ignoring them.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 3:09 pm   #9
Mistral13
Triode

Following the suggestions on here, I have been in touch with Geoff, who tells me he will have complete pinch rolers in stock in a couple of months time (ie March 2020).

I also established that, apart from Terry in the USA, Geoff is the only source of the idler and pinch wheels. David Durrant ceased supllying them some years ago apparently.

Thanks again to all on here who helped- it is much appreciated.
Closed Thread