UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2008, 1:04 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Roberts R404

As received:
Knobs were intact, everything rather dirty, volume control would not turn. Sometimes worked, then either waveband would go off with just a quiet hiss.
First job was to remove and dismantle the VC – the spindle was totally seized due to the lubricant becoming solid. I removed the circlip and spindle, taking care not to lose the two tiny carbon brushes. Cleaning all the parts in IPA and greasing the spindle gave it a new lease of life when I reassembled it. Now for the rest of it. TR1, the mixer/oscillator (AF117) responded to tapping, so it was suffering with the usual whisker-pox. In went a BF450, and the radio came to life. After leaving it running, it became intermittent – it still worked from the VC onwards using the scientific wet finger method, so prime suspects were the IF stages.
These are in an alloy can, and it looked as quite a bit of work had been done here as the pins were resoldered, and flexing the can made the set come on. There was a lump of foam wedged between the can and chassis!

Nothing for it except getting the can out and having a look. When I did, the two transistors had been replaced with the same type – AF117. There was also a tiny crack in the print leading to the output pin that was probably the main cause of the intermittency.

I repaired the print and fitted a couple of BF450s – on reassembly and test, it worked fine, so I set up the two presets on the AF stage. Not quite R707 performance, but it sounds quite nice.
I noticed that the three rubber grommets holding the tuning gang had virtually crumbled away; fortunately they can be replaced one at a time without disturbing the drive cord and pointer, so I did that.

Now for the cabinet:
The speaker was full of dust and there was a small tear in the cone near the edge – a piece of tissue cemented to the cone was needed. A bit of panel-beating on the grille was required as well.
The chrome on ‘Roberts’ logo was a bit worn, so I took the badge off and sprayed it with Humbrol silver spray.
I then made a bit of a discovery; I am a great believer in using Danish Oil on cabinets, except for the high gloss ones. So, I gave the cabinet ends the treatment, taking care not to get any on the black rexine. Unfortunately, the mice and men won : some oil got on the rexine! Idly, I tried to rub it off; of course that did not work.
However, the rexine took on a lovely glossy finish! So, oil went on the rest of it – after replacing the badge it looks quite a decent little set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R404front.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	19888   Click image for larger version

Name:	R404open.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	19889  
Old 13th Sep 2008, 1:09 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Roberts R404

Neat little job there Mike . Danish Oil on rexine, I'll have to remember that one.
Old 13th Sep 2008, 3:36 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hi Mike

You've done a super job there! I haven't a R404 but I have got the similar styled R303 model. They are lovely little sets when restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
...the mixer/oscillator (AF117) responded to tapping, so it was suffering with the usual whisker-pox...
I like your terminology! I think "whisker-pox" should be officially adopted to describe the well known AF11x series affliction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
...I then made a bit of a discovery; I am a great believer in using Danish Oil on cabinets, except for the high gloss ones. So, I gave the cabinet ends the treatment, taking care not to get any on the black rexine. Unfortunately, the mice and men won : some oil got on the rexine! Idly, I tried to rub it off; of course that did not work. However, the rexine took on a lovely glossy finish! So, oil went on the rest of it...
I haven't tried Danish Oil but I did a similar thing by accident with Teak Oil, it also brings up rexine beautifully! BTW I once tried Teak Oil on a dull bakelite cabinet and it also brought that up to a long lasting high gloss shine. Very good stuff!

An excellent result Mike, well done!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 14th Sep 2008, 9:48 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi Mike, nice resto, i have an almost mint r404 that is also suffering from af117 disease, reading your thread has made me decide to tackle my set as soon as i get hold of a few bf450's
Cheers
Mark
Old 15th Sep 2008, 7:20 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, Darren and Robert. Mark - go for it - we'll be watching
Old 15th Sep 2008, 9:17 am   #6
GJR 11L
Heptode

Nice set Mike, is the little wooden shelf that should slot into the sides of the cabinet missing by any chance? I have a spare if you need one.

We've had all the bodges on here now! Brasso on wood, Danish Oil on rexine, what next?

I have a complete 404 "to do" as well as a fairly wrecked one that works but whose cabinet is in four distinct pieces. Must sort one out soon.

Well done Sir!
Old 15th Sep 2008, 1:48 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, John - Kim and Aggie have nothing on us!
PM on way in a few minutes.