UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2008, 10:59 am   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default A Couple Of Quick Repairs/Restoration Successes

The first one was to a Murphy B801 Transistor Radio (one that Howard inspired me to collect). Unfortunately, the only one that came a long was fairly well aged & with it's top brass panel completely missing.

Fortunately, although the radio had quite a bit of damp corrosion, especially evident on the front speaker grill, which took on a tarnished alluminium look, this polished up well after first applying some Methanol/Diethyl Ether mixture (that's we use in the Camera Repair Trade for cleaning Matt Chrome metal work), followed by Brasso wadding.

Next came the problem of making a new top panel. This was achieved by creating a 1:1 scale panel & matching/positioned type/font face on my computer. This was then printed on to matching brass coloured, 'metallised' ink jet 'paper' (that I mentioned on one of my other restorations). This new panel was then stuck to the top with double sided, adhesive tape.

The results, as per the thumbnails, I hope you find acceptable.

The second repair/restoration was even more important to me, as I'd been after one of these radios for some years: a Decca Debonette TP50, which I finally got via Ebay.

Although the colour would be considered somewhat "bright", I think it was considered one of Decca's "Gay" colours, suitable for the period & market it was made for.

Fortunately, there was nothing wrong with the operation of this radio, it worked first time and only needed a spray of Servisol Switch/Contact cleaner to the Volume & Wave Change controls.

The biggest problem being the tarnished brass finishing to the Tuning Dial, Volume & Wave Change Knobs, Speaker surround & finally, the two strap fixing rivets.

This was restored back to original condition & brightness by removing all the brass trims & fittings, then chemical removal of old varnish & a great deal of elbow grease with even more Brasso wadding.

Once all brass was restored, finishing off with the application of new lacquer and, once dry, the fittings were re-glued back into place.

The final touch was to re-infill red paint to the DECCA badge and although this turned out as successful as the other parts, it doesn't show up well in the finished photo, as my camera seems to bleed reds and the result make it look like a 5 year old has splattered red paint all over the 'gold' metal but I promise it hasn't & does look excellent in real life!

The first thumbnail is the before shot, the picture was that from the auction & the second is the final result.

Enough from me & happy restoring,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy B801 (Before).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	19642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy B801 (After).JPG
Views:	186
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	19643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy B801 (After-Top).JPG
Views:	223
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	19644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca Debonette TP50 (Before).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	19645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca 'Debonette' TP50 (After).JPG
Views:	310
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	19646  

Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:05 am   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: A Couple Of Quick Repairs/Restoration Successes

p.s:

I think the colour of the Decca Debonette is called Lemon?
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 11:36 am   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Great Work ! The DECCA looks like it just came out of the box ! Andy
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 2:44 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Nice jobs there. Two sets that would put any modern day sets to shame!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 5:10 pm   #5
Colin
Heptode

Tony, great work. The top panel on the Murphy is a real work of art. It's excellent and shows just what can be done with sets that would normally be considered beyond help.

I like the Decca Debonette too. I have a really nice sky blue one and a scrapper in red. Neither of them have the brass trim on the Volume and Wavechange knobs, which is a shame because the blue one would be 'mint' as Howard would say ;-)
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 9:55 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Nice work tony, i have never seen a debonette in yellow, looks fantastic!
Cheers
Mark
Closed Thread