UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2019, 9:07 am   #1
Davewantsone
Hexode

Default Ultra T401 LW

I have recently repaired this receiver and it works very well on MW and SW with only a short length of wire for an aerial. I have read other comments on this forum that the LW is not very good and this is the case with my set. I have noticed however a difference between the actual wiring in the set and the circuit diagram around the LW coil. See picture. The bottom end of the secondary of the LW coil does not go to the 0.05 uF capacitor but on the set is wired to earth. THe MW and SW coils do go to the capacitor. The primary of the LW coil does not go to earth but like the MW and SW coils goes to the 470pF capacitor. No one has altered these connections on the set. The circuit is from the CD (VRSD).Are these connections correct or is the circuit diagram correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rf t401.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	190075  
Old 13th Sep 2019, 11:08 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra T401 LW

With LW selected measure the resistance between the control grid of the mixer to chassis, if it's zero to low the coils have been wired incorrectly so far as I can make out.

That part of the schematic in the Belgian manual agrees with the one you have posted.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 3:34 pm   #3
Davewantsone
Hexode

The LW coil is clearly soldered to chassis at the same point that the 0.05uF capacitor. To correct it I would need to desolder the coil from chassis and connect a wire from this coil to the other end of the capacitor which goes to the low end of the SW coil? Has anyone actually got a radio that is wired as per the circuit diagram?
Old 13th Sep 2019, 3:51 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

Can't see why they would want to defeat the AGC to the mixer on LW.

I would do the resistance test from the mixer's grid to chassis when switched to LW to confirm...

Lawrence.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 9:40 am   #5
Davewantsone
Hexode

Well I rewired the LW coil as per circuit diagram, with the result it worked slighty worse with breakthrough of Radio 5 on the HF end of LW. So I will put it back to how it was originally. (all the LW trimmers work). The 470 kHz IF trap is set OK.
I am more than happy with MW and SW. so I will leave it at that.
Old 15th Sep 2019, 6:40 pm   #6
Davewantsone
Hexode

LW is now perfect. I unsoldered L7 and fitted a ferrite rod witk LW coil, all background noise has gone and now have a clear R4 signal!
Closed Thread