UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2015, 7:30 pm   #1
Nightcruiser
Pentode

Default Old style resistors and tolerances

I cant seem to find a great deal of information about these red bodied resistors on the internet or their type.

The values are clearly marked but how does one work out the tolerance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	116805  
Old 11th Dec 2015, 10:22 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Old style resistors and tolerances

Measure a few (lot) and see how close they are to nominal. Do a bar chart with number in each % error band. Depending on how it looks, you can hazard a reasonable guess at the tolerance unless they've all drifted. That would also be fairly obvious from the plot.

Of course if someone recognises them it's lot quicker......

The coloured end seems to be one higher than the three band decade for some reason.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 12th Dec 2015, 4:39 pm   #3
short wave
Pentode

Hi "Nightcruiser"
some one else has the same problem here (picture 3)

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.c...r#.Vmw6yc_tlHw

info i found here may help

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/col...g_germany.html
regards S-W
Old 12th Dec 2015, 6:04 pm   #4

A lot of 'posh' resistors were marked like that, posh in quotes is deliberate, they are more than likely a bog standard job. They also look like the E6 series, that is 20%.

Old 14th Dec 2015, 10:00 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

As they're marked with the value I doubt there's many applications where the tolerance is going to make much difference given the amount of drift usually found in most vintage components, and they generally will work fine. Anything less than 20% is generally fine - to me anyway! What's the actual issue? are you just curious or intending to re-use or check actual value as fitted in a piece of kit?
Old 14th Dec 2015, 12:29 pm   #6
jonnybear
Octode

They look to be of European origin, most of the resistors in vintage radios were 20%. you can always check them with a meter to see how near to the marked value they are.

I would be more concerned about that (awful) wima? capacitor next to them, they used to give untold problems in the Grundig reel to reel tape recorders in the sixties.
John
Old 14th Dec 2015, 12:51 pm   #7
jjl
Octode

This looks like the innards of a Grundig set of the mid '50s. The Grundig 5080 that I had a while ago had this type of resistor, and I found several to be faulty; they would wander about in value when measured with a DMM. Perhaps the end caps were not making good contact with the resistive element. If they need replacing, I'd use modern 2W 1% metal film types; these are a similar size to older resistors and have a suitably high voltage rating.

John is right about the capacitor, German paper dielectric capacitors are just as unreliable as everyone elses.

John
Closed Thread