UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2015, 3:20 pm   #1
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Reference books

I hope this is the right thread.

Further to a thread in the Vintage Audio section, I was wondering do we have an easily found part of the site with recommendations and reviews of reference books that members could contribute to and others refer to when looking for information of a general nature.
I am aware that we can get set specific data for a reasonable fee from the site and am not suggesting anything that would cause a conflict of interests.

Best regards.

Andy.
Old 13th Nov 2015, 4:40 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Reference books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Electronics - no home is complete without a copy!
Old 14th Nov 2015, 12:41 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Three names instantly spring to mind: Langford-Smith, F.E. Terman and M.G. Scroggie. Those names - plus a quick look around the Internet - should produce results.
However, I can see that a section somewhere where members can recommend books of a general nature could have some utility.

Al.
Old 28th Dec 2015, 7:31 pm   #4
jsbhavsar
Pentode

I would have loved if someone here could have listed names of books and authors on topics like radios, antennas, repair and restoration, buidling techniques etc.

Books in below three categories can be listed out:

a) Basics

b) Moderately i.e More than Basics but yet helps the reader understand details

c) Very Detailed writeup on radios and everything

If there is/was any other place if this book related information is available, please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 29th Dec 2015, 12:22 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Reference books

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbhavsar View Post
I would have loved if someone here could have listed names of books and authors on topics like radios, antennas, repair and restoration, building techniques, etc.
Then see posts #2 and #3 above.

Al.
Old 29th Dec 2015, 12:51 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

If you speak any language besides English, then seek out reference books in that language. Not only to expand your technical vocabulary (although that is a useful side-effect), but also because the equations almost certainly will be presented in SI units -- and engineering calculations in American measurements are practically a foreign language anyway.
Old 29th Dec 2015, 4:04 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I don't understand this problem with different measurement units.

For one thing, every electronics/radio book written in, say, the last 50 years or more, will use the 'normal' volts, amps, ohms, etc. Including American books. Certainly all the excellent books by Fred Terman use said units.

For mechanical work, I have no problem working in inches, or in millimetres. It's not difficult to convert one to the other, at least not with an accuracy better than I can work to.

Anyway, the pocket calculator I use on my bench for design work keeps track of units (and can handle just about anything).
Old 29th Dec 2015, 4:56 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here but another of the great Paul Stennings sites [UK Radio Repair and Restoration] has a Book and Products Review section in the main menu with a large number of items shown .

There's also a link from there to his Vintage Radio Information site and it's menu has a Vintage Technical Books section with no less than 33 files
I hope that's a help to someone

Dave W
Old 30th Dec 2015, 11:12 am   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony. The problem is not with base units such as volts and amps inches/mm, but derived or secondary units for magnetism, force etc

Ed
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 6:39 pm   #10
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Will the valve numbers mentioned in the American books come in my way of learning in India where we never had American valve radios; we only used the European valves (EZ80, EF89, EBF89 and so on). There are hardly any American valve sets I see in India.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 6:53 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Unless you are looking at the service manual for a particular radio I don't think the valve numbers used will matter at all. The common European valves often have close US equivalents. And in any case if you are learning, in general, how, say, an IF amplifier stage works the exact valve used is irrelevant. If you understand an American one you can understand a European one with no problems.
Closed Thread