UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 10th Mar 2024, 11:41 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default DC PSU Chokes

Hi peeps. After my purchase of the Codar AT5 tx's. Although I now have a lab Farnell E350 psu, I want to make a self standing PSU for the AT5. The original Codar PSU states 16 uf X 2 caps and a 10H 100 m/A choke.
Did I read somewhere that the Mod transformer could be used. As I have two AT5's that would not be a problem. However, is it true that the laminations are organised differently from an audio transformer.
I purchased 5 X 100 uF @ 450V from Farnell, and I have approx 12V P/P ripple on a HT of 300V from the Radford Labpack psu.
A lot of questions there, but I am sure one answer

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Wendymott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2024, 4:46 am   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: DC PSU Chokes

Hi Wendy, In a transformer the lams are interleaved
In a single ended op trans and a choke the lams are all stacked together , normally with a few thou air gap or paper packing. A tapering air gap is used in swinging chokes.

Ed
Ed_Dinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2024, 6:04 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

The inductance of the mod transformer, if designed for comms will be suitd for frequencies down to about 600Hz. For a power supply you'll need more inductance to be good at 100Hz.

Mod transformers of the smaller style with single-ended modulators can run the DC bias currents in oposite directions and so get an easier ride as far as saturation is concerned. Mod transformers of larger size intended for push-pull modulator amps get some cancellation of the modulator DC bias, but none of the RF side of things. So there is some value, but a lot of the core is filled with wire you won't be using in a choke. You could use primary and secondary windings in series to build more inductance, but you get more ampere-turns of flux, and you run into saturation limits.

So a choke designed as a choke can make advantage of the full core capabilities. Done optimised as a transformer, it won't be so good unless you are very lucky.

Dismantling the clamp and changing the inert shim thickness gives you a little wiggle room.

David
Old 11th Mar 2024, 7:01 am   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quite surprisingly, I still have 2 or 3 of the 10H chokes bought in RSC when they were in the Grand Arcade in Leeds c1970. At the time, I thought those chokes and transformers they sold were definitely budget items, but 50 years later, none have failed .

B
Old 11th Mar 2024, 12:20 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi peeps.. Thanks for the replies. Bazz do you wish to let one escape from your collection ? . RSC I remember well, my father bought the "Linear Diatonic" and the larger amps for his dance school business. A Long shot I know, but if anyone has a mains transformer from one of those, gold "sheckles" could be traded,

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Wendymott is offline   Reply With Quote